• 3 Little Pig Asado

Phrasty

Babbling Farker
Haven't been on the board in a while but I have had a few post-worthy moments I feel like I could share during the time away... This was definitely one of them. Had a catering a while back and decided to make an Asado rig to cook 2 roaster pigs and 2 Porchettas.

It all came out pretty nicely and had good feedback on the set up and food. :thumb:

The Build:
Welded up a 4'x4' frame out of 2" Angle iron
ISP8af2.jpg

Then added the supports for the uprights that would be able to tilt further or closer to fire as needed
hrMwhvf.jpg

Added the adjustable cross frames to fasten the hogs to
ZZLM9ja.jpg

once that was sorted I got to work on the adjustable fire/roasting shelf
plArVqH.jpg

fdptkb9.jpg

I had planned on hanging some chickens and so I installed a hanging loop but actually didn't end up using it for this event.
iqIr8hi.jpg

The Prep:
Had 2 whole and 2 half hogs to prep
AgwetnU.jpg

Separated the ribs from the spine to open them up and seasoned them up with a kind of chimmichurri with lots of garlic, parsley, basil, BP, salt, RPF & salt and rested overnight. Likewise with the porchetta.
Zex2kh0.jpg

5Qmpl9C.jpg

BTW with a sharp knife held leaning into the rib side of the hog and your other had tilting the backbone down into the loin as well you can cut right through that rib/backbone joint with some firm pressure. I like a knife with a shorter blade for this for good leverage.
QRHZ49g.jpg

Deboned, seasoned and trussed up
fHbxO14.jpg

OmXk0yE.jpg

The Cook:
Got the fire lit and the pigs on the asado
LAaP2fd.jpg

Then got the porchettas on along with some pumpkins I was also roasting for the event... Yeh the rotisserie was struggling a bit with the weight :boxing:
6JTxGCa.jpg

menLCZi.jpg

Everything coming along nicely on a scorcher of a day!!
aD9K9yI.jpg

5IXG5Og.jpg

VYkLLEs.jpg

This is how it all ended up :biggrin1:
78kRH4p.jpg

lg2mYE0.jpg

It was yummy! There was nothing left over for a goodie bag to take home... Should've kept a secret stash lol, my fault :becky:

Cheers

Looks fantastic, Simon! I bet it was delicious!

Still making your dry rubs? I remember the samples you sent, probably 10 to 15 years ago. lol They were great! :-D

Looks fantastic, Simon! I bet it was delicious!

Still making your dry rubs? I remember the samples you sent, probably 10 to 15 years ago. lol They were great! :-D

Yes that was a while back! I am still making them on a small commercial scale now. have a few retail spots for them out here and they're doing pretty well... :bow: Still based strongly off that batch you got those many years ago.

awesome looking cook and cooker. We love Jamaica (the island), can we eat at your place next time we are down there?
Thanks man, appreciate it. I don't have a restaurant out here but I do meat production but sure if you're ever on my side of the island hit me up.

OUTSTANDING. I have missed your posts. Hope you dont disappear again

Lol I'll try not to. A lot going on on my side but I'm never really gone... I stay lurking :becky: Missed you guys too!

Back