THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mbalmer

Knows what a fatty is.
My wife bought me a Rec Tec 680 last Christmas. Great gift, awesome wife. However, I have used it 20 times or so and have never really liked it. I have made ribs twice and they came out really good but not the best I've ever made. In fact the ribs are the only thing I have made that I thought were good.

I have cooked pork butt (my favorite thing to smoke) chicken thighs, pork chops, pork steak, chicken wings, hamburgers, and lots of chicken breast. I haven't liked any of those things. Sure, they are edible (except the 3 sets of wings I have made) but they dont taste as good as when I use my Weber Smoky Mountain or my Pit Barrel.

At this point I really just hate the thing but dont want to give up on it because it is convenient and with my job I never know when I'm going to get called out and my wife can do this and can't/ wont mess with the charcoal.

I've tried different pellets. Going to try some different ones.

Maybe there's a problem with mine? A fan or blower is constantly going from on then off then on then off. That normal? I also never see any great smoke or have good smoke flavor. The wings always taste like they came from an oven. Made some on Wednesday night and were horrible.

Other than that, everything seems to be normal.

Long rant, I know, I'm just lost and looking for ideas and suggestions. I have friends that love their pellet grills and I hate mine. What am I doing wrong?

I’ve been cooking with pellets for a few years now... love it! With that said, it’s definitely gonna impart a lighter smoke profile than charcoal/chunks. When you say you are not seeing visible smoke, what temp are you cooking at? I know on my pellet cooker, once I exceed 300, then amount of visible smoke definitely lessens. As far as the fan doing the on/off dance, that it typically how pellet grills work when maintaining the lower temps. Puff/no puff/puff/no puff...

Could it be that you are just one of those guys that prefer heavy smoke? Nothing wrong with that... it’s each to their own. What do others think of the food from your Rec Tec? Are you the only one struggling, or is the consensus that the food is no good?

My wife thinks the chicken breast is ok. Made wings and drumsticks the other night and my dear sweet mother couldn't eat them. Everyone in my family said the pork butt was off. Pork chops have been decent but not like other smokers.

Going to try a smoke tube, some different pellets and go from there. I'm currently using green mountain pellets. Thoughts on those?

My wife thinks the chicken breast is ok. Made wings and drumsticks the other night and my dear sweet mother couldn't eat them. Everyone in my family said the pork butt was off. Pork chops have been decent but not like other smokers.

Going to try a smoke tube, some different pellets and go from there. I'm currently using green mountain pellets. Thoughts on those?

Not sure about GM pellets. I have pretty much used Cookin’ Pellets Perfect Mix since day one. Love them!!!

Best pellets I have used for a heavier smoke profile are, Lumberjack 100% Hickory. An amaze-n-tube will certainly help. I believe the rec-tec has a smoke mode, that is suppose to boost smoke, have you played around with that. On butts try cooking at the lowest temp you can set, for 2 hours, then cook as normal. For heaviest smoke, I would stay below 250.

Your great wife bought this for you but it could be that it is something that she wants and is comfortable using.

It does sound like you prefer heavy smoke

Like said try different pellets - Not a mix but heavier smoke flavor like Hickory, oak, or mesquite.

Good luck

Your great wife bought this for you but it could be that it is something that she wants and is comfortable using.

It does sound like you prefer heavy smoke

Like said try different pellets - Not a mix but heavier smoke flavor like Hickory, oak, or mesquite.

Good luck

Oak and White Ash were my to go to's for my stick burner. But I do not like oak in my pellet grill. It burns too clean, and gives a light smoke.. My opinion of course.

Best pellets I have used for a heavier smoke profile are, Lumberjack 100% Hickory. An amaze-n-tube will certainly help. I believe the rec-tec has a smoke mode, that is suppose to boost smoke, have you played around with that. On butts try cooking at the lowest temp you can set, for 2 hours, then cook as normal. For heaviest smoke, I would stay below 250.

I agree

On my Camp Chef, I run from 1 to 2 hrs on "high Smoke" before moving to the temp I want to cook at.

For chicken, 1 hr. at high smoke, then move to 325. Skin can be tough.

For brisket or ribs, 2 hrs at high smoke, then 250 for the rest of the cook.

I don't have a Rec Tec, but you could try to run at 180-200 for the first hour or so, then move to the temp you want to run at.

I use B&B pellets, Mesquite for Beef, Apple for pork and cherry for chicken.

Last edited:
I agree

On my Camp Chef, I run from 1 to 2 hrs on "high Smoke" before moving to the temp I want to cook at.

For chicken, 1 hr. at high smoke, then move to 325. Skin can be tough.

For brisket or ribs, 2 hrs at high smoke, then 250 for the rest of the cook.

I don't have a Rec Tec, but you could try to run at 180-200 for the first hour or so, then move to the temp you want to run at.

I use B&B pellets, Mesquite for Beef, Apple for pork and cherry for chicken.

This is what I have been doing. Let smoke for an hour or two, depending on meat and then going from there. I'm going to try some different pellets for my next cook.

Going to try to do some ribs tomorrow and will get a tube ordered. Any sort of homemade tube that I can use until the real one comes from Amazon?

I've had several parties with people out to the cabin since I purchased this, but I mostly use my charcoal because I know that it is good. I made ribs last time and people really did like them, but that seems to be the only thing I can cook on this. I told my brother I have a $1,000 rib cooker. lol.

I appreciate the suggestions.

Pellet cookers aren't for everyone. You should probably just call it quits if you enjoy the charcoal taste better because you won't duplicate that on a pellet cooker.

Try lumberjack or cookinpellets 100% hickory. If not enough smoke for you then, pellet cookers likely aren’t for you. They definitely don’t taste like pbc cooked food.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you know if the rec tec is doing some major temp swings? Also, what GMG pellets are you using?

I use the same maverick I use for my other cookers and no giant temp swings.

I have used 3 kinds of GMG. Mixed fruit, apple, and another type I can't remember.

Going to Walmart and seeing what they have.

Your first two sentences. My wife bought the Primo Oval XL for me while I was out of town. I'll never get rid of it. I've had plenty of in addition to not in lieu of cookers. It'll be the last cooker standing.

I have used a pellet pooper for years, in addition to my Primo Oval, and offset. You have to add supplemental smoke to a pellet pooper IMNSFHO. Depending on the meat, I will use one or two A-Maze-N smokers at a time, and keep them burning for 6-8 hours minimum (or shorter for ribs, chicken). I can turn out very good food in my pellet smoker.

Different pits impart different levels of smoke, and different flavors in general. Knowing what style pit your taste prefers is part of the battle. It's not the pellet's fault that your taste swings in another direction. Some folks don't like direct heat and prefer offsets. Some like pellets and not charcoal. It's an apples & oranges conversation...and you like peaches.

Back