MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris
Default Pulling pork butt the next day

I've got a 7 lb pork butt going on 9 hours in the drum. Getting close, but my question is, have you ever pulled a roast the next morning after it has cooled in the fridge?

I've always rested, pulled and then refrigerated. Will it pull easily the next day without heating it up first?
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

No it won't pull until it's heated up. All the fat will turn more solid just like any grease that cools off. Think about how hard the fat turns in the bottom of any meat cooked and then put in the frig overnight. The same thing happens inside the butt. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

I think doing it the way you normaly do it is the safest way. While talking to my local health department he mentioned that by pulling it (after the rest) and then getting it in the fridge is the best way to stay out of the danger zone.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Thanks guys. You just reaffirmed what I already figured. I have to get up early and I'm dead tired, but I'll rest it for about an hour and then pull..
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
SmokerWannabe
Found some matches.

I smoked my first butt last weekend (7 lb bone in). After too little research, I was under the impression it would take much longer to achieve fall apart tasty moist pork. Much to my surprise I reached 205 degrees at 10pm. I fretted over staying up another 4 hours letting it rest or taking my chances refrigerating it instead.

This being my first, I decided I could afford to come short of perfection and the refrigerator won out. I put the butt in a cake pan and poured the pan of apple juice and pork drippings from the smoker over it and covered with foil.

The next morning I couldn't even sleep in I was so worried about that damn butt!
So here is the plan I devised. I took the pan from the refrigerator and put it straight in to a 250 degree oven. I left it in for about 2 hours and checked the internal temp. It was up to 110 degrees and fear of drying it out prompted me to take it out and begin pulling.

To my surprise it was incredibly moist and fell apart just trying to de-fat it. It was absolutely delicious (if I do say so myself) and ready to eat! Unfortunately it was 9:30 am and dinner was at 6 pm. I pulled out my vacuum foodsaver and divided the tasty pulled tender moist goodness in to two bags. I vacuum sealed them both (adding what little juice was still in the bottom of the pan) and tossed them back in the fridge.

About a half hour prior to dinner, I heated a pot of water on the stove and tossed one of the bags in for about 20 minutes turning it every so often. Right before ringing the dinner bell I cut open the bag (started to drool once the aroma hit me) dumped it into a serving bowl and placed it next to my 3 sauce choices for my guests.

I immediately realized I would need to throw in the second bag! It was disappearing like snow falling on a hot grill. The best part was that very few people were even adding sauce to their pulled pork sandwiches! They said it was so flavorful that they did not want to cover it up. It was a huge success!

But I digress...my intent behind this post was not to brag about my butt (but I couldnt help it...being my first attempt) The moral of the story is: It may not be as big of a risk to refrigerate as opposed to following all of the resting procedures.

Just my newbie 2 cents worth! Hope it helps someone!
SmokerWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
AMoore
On the road to being a farker

MEAT: Love the avatar...he looks guilty as charged...but I bet his tummy is full.

SMOKER: This sounds like a great idea. I sometimes get overzealous with my cook times and put it on too soon and don't know what to do with it hours before serving. Thank you for the run down and technique. Keep cooking...it only gets better and the smiles from your friends and family get bigger.
AMoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
SmokerWannabe
Found some matches.

Thanks AMoor! I appreciate the kind words :)

Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yup, you're on the right track with the advice above. Why go through a long re-heat to pull when you can just bag up/seal the pulled stuff and re-heat very quickly (without all the extra moisture loss).
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

There's also the approach of putting it in a cooler, wrapped in foil and then old CLEAN rags, towels, etc packed around it. It'll stay VERY warm for another 10+- hours.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
SmokerWannabe
Found some matches.

Thumbs up

Yeah that is what I was referring to at the beginning of my post for resting procedures. I had no idea it would be able to maintain the heat for around 10 hours! I could have skipped the whole process I went through (even though it was successful).

Thanks! That's why I joined...learn from people who know!