Final 3 - Time to pick - Shirley, Lone Star and Workhorse

tbassak

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I/m sure thus has ben asked 1,000 times and I have found some information on all, but not a thread a thread. Of the following three smokers which would you pick and why?

Shirley Patio 24x36
Lone Star 20x42
Workhorse 1969/1975

I see pros and cons to all so I need some help with a final decision. Money or wait time are not a factor. I'm near Dallas so location might but delivery and sales taxes almost cancel out.

I would first figure out if I wanted a Offset or Reverse Flow that would eliminate a choice.
Best Bang for the Buck is the Workhorse, But since Money and Time are not a factor, I would add a few others to the list. Good Luck..

I'm not gonna be any help. I've been thru this twice and bought a shirley both times. The workhorse almost got me. The shirley 24x36 has way more cooking space than you would think. One has to be calling to you...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I agree with the other posters, there are some key differences that would cancel out particular pits. If you don’t always want food stacked on top of each other then cancel out the Shirley, but if you want maximum space with the smallest footprint it is the Shirley. I’ve never had my hands on a Workhorse, but with a direct flow pit I wouldn’t want any smaller than a 60” length pit just because of the space you lose from the direct heat of the fire. Not really a fan of LSG, and I wouldn’t want a 20” diameter pit after owning multiple pits.

Long story, it would come down to the Shirley of those three. Being you’re in Dallas I’d look at other builders like Backline who offer a 24x60” direct flow. Even though it’s only 48” in length, the Moberg looks nice. The top shelf looks too high to really be useable space though.

If resale value is important to you I would rate Shirley #1, LSG #2, and Workhorse #3.

All are fine choices but go 24" at least

I love my workhorse 1975 as I wanted a direct flow cooker and the linseed oil finish is great. So is the cowboy grill option when doing a reverse sear in a tri tip, etc. with thinner metal and much smaller cook space, the lsg isn’t in the same category imo. Their larger pits use tuning plates (which I didn’t want)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like the patina of the Workhorse pits but wouldn't Shirley be able to do the same?

I have a Jambo Backyard available now. Hard to beat a Jambo…

All three are very nice but I've only had a Shirley so I cant really compare it's performance to the others. The 24x36 come up for sale periodically on FB. Many folks purchase them while waiting on bigger custom builds. If you find one act fast because they go quick. These are all very nice cookers. Good luck.

If resale value is important to you I would rate Shirley #1, LSG #2, and Workhorse #3.

I don’t think the Workhorse pits have been around long enough to compare their resale value. They aren’t as well known though, so you are probably correct for now. That said, in time that might not be the case.

Shirleys hold their value so well because they are such a good bargain to begin with.

I don’t think the Workhorse pits have been around long enough to compare their resale value. They aren’t as well known though, so you are probably correct for now. That said, in time that might not be the case.

Shirleys hold their value so well because they are such a good bargain to begin with.

I'm a classifieds junkie and that was exactly my thought process. Shirley 24" x 36" smokers often sell used for list price including shipping costs just because there is high demand and a long wait list. LSG's always seem to depreciate 20% or more. That may change as his build times continue to increase, but there are a lot of LSG smokers out there, especially in Texas. There was a Workhorse 1975 Trailer for sale on Texas FB marketplace which lasted for almost a month. I think it's because the brand is relatively new and unknown in many areas. That will probably change later on.

I agree with most folks here. That said if you want a Shirley it would appear the best time to order it was a year or so ago. They have a long wait time and not all their customers have been happy with how they communicate that wait time. Great looking grills regardless. Good luck on your choice.

I think most have covered this topic well. I have owned 2 Shirley's (trailer and a 24x36) and now I own an Austin Smoke Works (ASW) 250 gallon that I bought used from a member here. I will tell you my thoughts on these two. The Shirley's are truly a piece of craftsmanship with excellent build quality and beautiful welds. The ASW has excellent airflow and drafts like no other cooker I have ever cooked on. The welds on the ASW and build quality seem to be okay, but nothing like the Shirley. However, I wouldn't trade my ASW for another Shirley. I love how the ASW cooks. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them. I have never cooked on one, but I really like the looks of the Workhorse pits and I have heard good things! Good luck to you! I don't think you can make a bad decision with these choices.

I think most have covered this topic well. I have owned 2 Shirley's (trailer and a 24x36) and now I own an Austin Smoke Works (ASW) 250 gallon that I bought used from a member here. I will tell you my thoughts on these two. The Shirley's are truly a piece of craftsmanship with excellent build quality and beautiful welds. The ASW has excellent airflow and drafts like no other cooker I have ever cooked on. The welds on the ASW and build quality seem to be okay, but nothing like the Shirley. However, I wouldn't trade my ASW for another Shirley. I love how the ASW cooks. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of them. I have never cooked on one, but I really like the looks of the Workhorse pits and I have heard good things! Good luck to you! I don't think you can make a bad decision with these choices.
I've had trailer and 24x36 shirleys too. If ASW ever makes a Backyard model that will be my next cooker.

I've had trailer and 24x36 shirleys too. If ASW ever makes a Backyard model that will be my next cooker.

You maybe in luck. Their website says a backyard model coming soon. Probably be similar to the workhorse pits sister company Primitive Pits Babe model.

You maybe in luck. Their website says a backyard model coming soon. Probably be similar to the workhorse pits sister company Primitive Pits Babe model.
It's been saying that for a couple of months. I think we might have pushed that along a little with a thread we started a while back. IIRC they were about to start working on it but orders for the big cookers really took off. Their shop is about 30 minutes from me.

I think ASW teased a backyard pit a LONG time ago and it hasn't happened. I'd be real intrigued by that. I really wanted a direct flow and I had the chance to buy the Franklin Pit and took it. I love the way it cooks so I'd lean towards something like that with Workhorse pits, although there are some differences between the pits. The workhorse has a baffle for instance and I'm not a fan.

I've always admired the Shirley Pits, I don't think you can go wrong there. What I don't like about the LSG 20 inch is that it's a 3/16s inch cook chamber. That probably doesn't matter that much, but I'd want at least 1/4 inch steel. It also has a baffle and I have to wonder about airflow.

Last edited:
ASW answered the backyard question on their Instagram recently, they said no time to soon.

I am having a similar dilemma, but have a slightly different set to pick from. I either want the Workhorse 1975 or a Pitmaker Short Sniper.

Back