Real Pit BBQ

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Y’all have all seen the signs advertising “Real” Pit Barbecue. A person asked what does that “Real” mean? When I was growing up that meant a “pit” and a shovel. The pit could be underground or earthen and built up-it could also mean a cinderblock Pit or a smokehouse (that often resembled an outhouse). Regardless of underground, above ground or smokeshack- it always involved a shovel.

Therefore, “Real Pit BBQ” requires a shovel.

Just a presunrise observation as we didn’t smoke-we grilled

Is there a shovel involved? maybe - maybe not. Might not even be an axe involved the way things are heading these days. A pile of wood might just be for show.

I'd guess that "real" is used just like "home made"- those words can strike a chord and make you pull in- whereas a sign saying just plain old "bbq" might make you keep on driving.

I love the word "pit". It has a primordial ring to it, images of a subterranean chamber of initiation come to mind, where transformation takes place. And that's what happens when paired with the word "barbecue".

Meat that is seasoned is lowered into a subterranean chamber or hole, or, into an above ground structure where the meat is cooked for many hours and is transformed into tender, flavorful, deliciousness. Whether subterranean, or above ground, shovels are often involved.

Certainly a tandoor is a pit, as is an Armenian tonir; a makeshift cinder block or more permanent brick pit also fits the category, as does a drum smoker. In 2007 the Culinary Historians of Southern California recreated an Early California pit barbecue at the Ygnacio Palomares Adobe in Pomona. It required burning hundreds of pounds of oak in the pit over the preceding night, then lowering cloth-wrapped, marinated beef shoulder clod into the resulting pit of coals and covering everything with earth. After cooking all night, participants pronounced the results "incredibly tender, deeply smoky meat."

I was fortunate to have experienced this myself in the hills of southern Orange County when I was around 12 years of age. Rich, smoky pull apart beef was served with tortillas, frijoles charros, and fresh salsa. It was exquisite, an experience I shall not forget, and hope to duplicate one day.

Last edited:
Open pit barbecue is old school cool, older than photography actually.

O5NuCnv.jpg

My Grandpaw was an open pit man in his younger days, I have a feeling he would have loved a drum smoker.

klw92L3.jpg

Y’all have all seen the signs advertising “Real” Pit Barbecue. A person asked what does that “Real” mean? When I was growing up that meant a “pit” and a shovel. The pit could be underground or earthen and built up-it could also mean a cinderblock Pit or a smokehouse (that often resembled an outhouse). Regardless of underground, above ground or smokeshack- it always involved a shovel.

Therefore, “Real Pit BBQ” requires a shovel.

Just a presunrise observation as we didn’t smoke-we grilled

Yep....and a hot coal rake.
Trench pits are still used here... dug by backhoes now.
Rebar is placed across the trench to hold the meat and bean pots above the hot wood coals.
A pit is a pit, a smoker is a smoker, a drum is a drum, a grill is a grill, etc.. lol

I almost went and bought a shovel today to try this. Then I remembered I can’t afford to screw up another rack of ribs like I did last night by falling asleep. One day.

We had a fire pit, we used about 4 layers of chicken wire. It worked great. Doubt it was FDA approved, LOL

We only did pork butts, i think we had 12 on. They turned out great. But lacked smoke flavor. Im not really a fan of pits for that reason.

Yep....and a hot coal rake.
Trench pits are still used here... dug by backhoes now.
Rebar is placed across the trench to hold the meat and bean pots above the hot wood coals.
A pit is a pit, a smoker is a smoker, a drum is a drum, a grill is a grill, etc.. lol

You can't get it more "matter of fact" than that!

I love stuff like this - seeing the methods people the world over, through history have come up, with for cooking.

There’s a lot of ingenuity involved, including using tougher cuts of meat and sometimes maximizing the usage of precious fuel.

I knew I had another open pit photo floating around and the cook happens to be holding the shovel for coals.

rQqxEMx.jpg

Pictures like this are awesome

Thanks

Back in the late 70's early 80's during the oil boom Id pull on a rig location and the evening town would have killed a deer and would be cooking it underground in a toesack.
with potatoes, onions, and chilis It was pretty tasty

Back