Scored a BS pizza oven

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Brought this puppy home this morning. Bought on Craigslist for $125. Some of the items for it were still in the cellophane packaging. The unit is like new. Home run I think. Pouring rain here so initial run will have to be tomorrow. Can't wait. :becky:

Attachments

• BS oven.jpg
    BS oven.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 196
Congrats on the SCORE!! a fun toy for sure

I think I might have paid the same for mine second hand. (Also like new) Worth every penny so far! Congrats!

My pizza stone split in half after some use. It still works without too much issue. My pizza peel will grab an edge of where the stone split but a slight adjustment and you can grab the pie just fine. Not a deal breaker by any means.

Nice score! They are truly the best pizza cooker in their price range, especially with the capacity to make up to a 15 inch pie.

I've had mine since 2013, and it's still going strong. Since they don't make them anymore, parts are impossible to come by, so take good care of it and it should last quite a while. Definitely get a cover for it, which will keep the rust out. The motor is cheaply made, and is best powered by electrical current using the AC adaptor, vs batteries. I eventually replaced mine with a much stronger rotisserie motor and it runs like a champ.

A few essentials you might consider:

1. Get a good infrared thermometer so you can check the stone temp. I typically use a stone temp of 625ish for regular flour, and 750+ for 00 flour.

2. I turn off the motor briefly when launching and removing my pizzas. Trust me, it's safer that way!

3. Get yourself a good wooden peel, or better yet, a Super Peel which will take a lot of the hassle out of getting pizzas in this or any other oven, for that matter.

If you like pizza as much as I do, this will be a real game changer of a cooker!

They didn't even remove the sticker from the right shelf! Probably stuck there for life now.

I didn't know they quit making these?

Thanks for the tips Richard. The cover is on its way, ordered today. Are you using the original stone? The one with this unit is broken in half. I intend to place my 16" stone on the broken one (or just use my 16". The igniter appears to be inop. Likely I will disassemble and see what's wrong. As for the peel, I bought a green egg aluminum one when I started to make my own pies some months past. Have been thinking about upgrading but have not decided yet. The peel works ok with cornmeal or semolina but the remnants on the stone after the first bake start to burn and cause my pies to be charred looking. Not happy about that. With the rotating stone in this oven I may be able to clean the stone between bakes. To be seen.

Nice score George! Hands down one of my best cookers. I've gotten rid of a lot of cookers but I'm riding this one until the wheels fall off.

Thanks for the tips Richard. The cover is on its way, ordered today. Are you using the original stone? The one with this unit is broken in half. I intend to place my 16" stone on the broken one (or just use my 16". The igniter appears to be inop. Likely I will disassemble and see what's wrong. As for the peel, I bought a green egg aluminum one when I started to make my own pies some months past. Have been thinking about upgrading but have not decided yet. The peel works ok with cornmeal or semolina but the remnants on the stone after the first bake start to burn and cause my pies to be charred looking. Not happy about that. With the rotating stone in this oven I may be able to clean the stone between bakes. To be seen.

George, regarding the igniter, did you check to see if a battery was installed?

Also, check out the Super Peel, it will really make pizza so much easier:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234522

Here's a few of my past pizza cooks using the BS oven and Super Peel:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276206

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286815

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229436

I didn't know they quit making these?

Blackstone was planning on releasing a newer, improved version, and they were making progress on it, but then COVID happened and, well, you can probably figure out the rest.

Congrats on the pizza oven. I have the same one and love it. I use cornmeal too and it does burn. I've gotten in the habit of taking the top off and cleaning the stone before each use. I usually just scrape the burned bits into the bushes nearby.
As for the stone, I don't think I'd put your 16" stone on top of the broken one. Just use your 16" if that is the correct diameter.
It'll take a little time to get used to the timing on the oven. I tend to preheat mine for quite some time on low, maybe 15 minutes, then crank it up when the pie is ready to go in.

Nice score George! Hands down one of my best cookers. I've gotten rid of a lot of cookers but I'm riding this one until the wheels fall off.

Now that would be a sight to see - you riding on a BS oven till the wheels fall off. :heh:

You may need a more powerful motor to get up hills and such, though. :wink:

Great find! I sold mine several years ago, and regretted it.

Back