Temp controller power supply

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
For those using electronic temperature controllers on their GF's, etc., is anyone using a portable power supply of some type to run these? I plan on putting a smoker by the pool, so I really don't want to run a drop cord from an outlet and risk shock. I have a Cyber Q controller and fan that I got years ago, but never used because my stick burner ran so well without it. I plan on using it with a new GF when it gets here. Wondered if anyone had any luck using jump boxes or portable power supplies, and if so what you used.

I was wondering if one of those would run the DigiQ and blower. Good to know,,, thanks

Fireboard 2 Drive runs off an internal battery, and you can easily add a small cell phone style charger battery to keep it going for a long time. The Fireboard will power my BBQ Guro fan for quite some time depending on the temperature you are running it. The charger I have is a 20k MAH battery. Together I have done 24+ hour cooks with plenty of juice left. If you had 2 chargers (one to charge while the other powering the Fireboard) you could conceivable run it indefinitely without having to run a power cable to your cooker.

As far as the Cyber Q, I think I have seen people run it off a battery pack before, but I don't know the setup.

Last edited:
Thanks, that seems pretty inexpensive. Are you using this setup? If so, can you share some details on how well and how long it works. Any pictures of it in action?

Can anyone share a thread link to one of these being used with a controller?
I use a similar jump starter, I couldn't find the exact one I use. I use it for my cyberq. It will run it and the 25 cfm fan for 3-4 12 hour cooks without having to recharge it. Sometimes it is still above 90% charged after a long cook. It also works really well for jump starting a car. I really like to have my remote thermometer and temperature controller powered by a power supply like this so I don't have to worry about a power flicker or something like that in the middle of the night or my kids accidentally tripping on an extension cord. It also makes it easier not having to worry about power when I am at a competition. I have been really happy with this set up.

So is anyone just using a ball valve without a temp controller, or is that too difficult to control?

A standard 12 Volt 7 Amp Hour battery used in Alarms and Emergency Lighting are faily common everywhere. A power adapter plug can easily connect to the Digi-Q and recharge on a trickle charger.

Back