If you could only have 1 BBQ cookbook, what would it be?

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have several I really like, but this would be mine...

51048b438def5d68976cdca900a92327.jpg

I have this forum, and You Tube, and Google

I choose the internet

Any would be my first. That's probably why my cooking lacks imagination.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It would come down to Smoke & Spice vs. Peace, Love & Barbecue. And the latter would probably win out.

And honestly, I have a lot of Smoking / BBQ cook books but nothing beats the inventiveness of what we have here with our Brethren friends. I very rarely look in those books now because I've learned so much from here and just do what ever the hell I want.

Cheers!

Bill

What is a BBQ Cookbook.

Biography
Autobiography
History
How To
Recipe Cookbook
Regional
International
Family tree
Inspirational
Travel

Some BBQ Cookbooks are narrow in scope and focus. Some are worth it for one recipe.
I tend to like the history-biography narrowing down to regions. There are lots of books that do very well meeting this criteria. If I have a BBQ Cookbook it’s for the love of history or biographical sketches.

Biggest Impact on my smoked meat cooking goes to
Aaron Franklin-Meat Smoking Manifesto

Best stories and Characters
Peace Love and BBQ

Best Road Trip
Daniel Vaughn-The Prophets Of Smoked Meat

Grand Prize for Best BBQ Book
The Legends Of Texas BBQ(new edition) Rob Walsh

Post Script

Sam Jones Whole Hog BBQ (Sam Jones & Daniel Vaughn) is reduced to 13$ on Amazon. I paid almost 30$ if I remember correctly. I’ve not read my copy yet. Saving for a rainy day

To 16Adams point, I like some bbq books for their history and perspective. Bob Garner is the unofficial bbq tour guide in NC. I like this book for its history of NC bbq. This was written in the 90s before Sam Jones was as known, but it does cover Sam’s father and his uncle Pete and his famous Skylight Inn. It is very focused on NC bbq, so appeal is admittedly limited.

North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored by Time https://www.amazon.com/dp/0895871521/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_X3F2AD05T4E4QPG9QTRA

Last edited:
Back