PSA -- Cooler recommendation

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I know questions on coolers come up her periodically.

I recently picked up the 60 qt Timberline at Tractor Supply and I'm really really impressed with it. We usually keep a cooler out by the pool and add a bag of ice each day to keep everything cool. This one is going at least three days between needing more.

At $179 it's relatively cheap by comparison to most roto-molded coolers. The cam-style latches are the style I prefer vs most other options, in particular what's used on Yeti. Only downside I've found is the weight -- but that's normal for rotoscoped-molded coolers.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/treeline-cooler-box-granite-60-qt-2811s753?cm_vc=-10005

I like the durability of off brand roto molded coolers.I read a comparison of several coolers.Coleman EXtreme 2 held it’s own and won over Yeti and others.Their hindges and such just are not very durable.Replacements are easily found on Amazon or at Sports Academy.I can buy many hindges and such for the difference in costs.I can buy 5 Coleman EXtrmem 2’s for less than one Yeti.But,I have to replace hindges and closing tabs often.Not a big deal to me but it may be something to consider.Oh,and they are not “cool” like pellet grills. :twitch:

I like the durability of off brand roto molded coolers.I read a comparison of several coolers.Coleman EXtreme 2 held it’s own and won over Yeti and others.Their hindges and such just are not very durable.Replacements are easily found on Amazon or at Sports Academy.I can buy many hindges and such for the difference in costs.I can buy 5 Coleman EXtrmem 2’s for less than one Yeti.But,I have to replace hindges and closing tabs often.Not a big deal to me but it may be something to consider.Oh,and they are not “cool” like pellet grills. :twitch:

I don’t think you’d have to worry about the hinges on this one. They are formed right into the structure. The tab might fail eventually but it would take a long time.

Good reminder on the availability for the Coleman hinges though. I have one I use for briskets and pulled pork that broke recently and I should try to fix it.

I was just at Costco today and they had a COHO 55 quart roto for 139.99. Seemed like a pretty decent cooler although I didn't get it.

Impressive. You've managed to move your pellet insults into a cooler thread. I had not predictive that one, well played. Glad you were able to get that out of your system today, we'll see you again tomorrow!

I've always had good luck with RTIC coolers. They are built about as close to a Yeti as possible, but about 1/3 less expensive. I have several different sizes some soft and some hard sided.

I know questions on coolers come up her periodically.

I recently picked up the 60 qt Timberline at Tractor Supply and I'm really really impressed with it. We usually keep a cooler out by the pool and add a bag of ice each day to keep everything cool. This one is going at least three days between needing more.

At $179 it's relatively cheap by comparison to most roto-molded coolers. The cam-style latches are the style I prefer vs most other options, in particular what's used on Yeti. Only downside I've found is the weight -- but that's normal for rotoscoped-molded coolers.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/treeline-cooler-box-granite-60-qt-2811s753?cm_vc=-10005

That's getting to the price where I might be able to justify it. We primarily use coolers for BBQ competitions or weekend camping, and I can get 22 lb. bags of ice for $2, so I would have to buy a lot of ice to justify a higher priced cooler. I also prefer one with wheels to make rolling it in and out of the toy hauler easier, and wheeled roto-molded coolers are typically more expensive.

The Ozark Trails brand at Walmart get decent reviews and are in that same price range, and the CaterGator brand at WebRestaurant Store are interesting and more reasonably priced.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/51...-merchandising-coolers.html?vendor=CaterGator

I had a pelican rotomolded cooler that was 35lbs empty...by the time you added the ice and whatever you were cooling, it was too heavy to reasonably move around very far by a single person. I bought a couple Coleman Extreme coolers, and while they probably dont have quite the longevity of the rotomolded style, I still easily get 3-4 days on the ice and they're much lighter.

I have the RTIC brand which is far lees expensive than YETI and pretty much the same thing. They have specials all the time making even better pricing. Fathers day deals on now.

I have a little roto cooler. Heavy little thing. I'll stick to my wheeled Coleman. Ice for 2 days is all I need. Easily transported by myself.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I find one or two coolers a year that blew out of boats , how no one notices is beyond me, they're usually colemans or igloos, yeah the hinges are weak, and usually the lid is dented from someone sitting on it, but I've never had a problem holding ice for a few days, and I can lift it... if i had to go buy a new one, probably get the igloo extreme from costco or walmart...

I was going to take the plunge and buy one of these molded coolers a couple of years ago, until I saw one in person and saw there was no room in them. You have to buy a huge cooler just to get a little room inside.

One more rtic vote. I have multiple hard coolers and soft coolers from them and they all work great. I also have too many cups from them to count. Love everything from them.

Got the Yeti Tundra Haul for my last birthday from my son. It's a tank but the space inside is deceptively small just looking at the outside. Nonetheless, it is as much cooler as I'll ever need though heavy and requires an extra hand for loading when filled.

77 quart Lifetime cooler is my father's day gift this year. $168 at Walmart. Excellent reviews.

Back