Mustard vinegar sauce

Al Czervik

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm sure something like this has been posted a thousand times, but if not and you want to give this one a shot I highly recommend it. It was a huge hit the last time I offered it for pulled pork:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup Yellow mustard
1/4 cup onion finely minced
2 cloves garlic pureed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. :thumb:

I made a batch of that when I smoked a boston butt a couple weeks back. Those who don't like mustard or vinegar loved it. After simmering, I put it in a blender for a few spins to thin it out a bit more and it was great.

One question I had though, was how long do you think it will stay edible in the fridge?

I made a batch of that when I smoked a boston butt a couple weeks back. Those who don't like mustard or vinegar loved it. After simmering, I put it in a blender for a few spins to thin it out a bit more and it was great.

One question I had though, was how long do you think it will stay edible in the fridge?

Good question... We didn't have any left over, but also didn't really have enough. Next time we'll make more so will no doubt need an answer to that question... :confused:

I make a vinegar/mustard base sauce and always keep extra bottles on the shelf. They keep for I know four months. The ph level keeps it good for quite a while.

I make a vinegar/mustard base sauce and always keep extra bottles on the shelf. They keep for I know four months. The ph level keeps it good for quite a while.

Do you keep them on the shelf in the fridge? Or just out at room temp on a shelf in the pantry for 4 months?

I also just thought, what about freezing it? Say if you froze in small batches and then when you were ready to use it, just put it in a saucepan on the stove and warm it up or microwave it. I wonder if that would change the dynamics. Then again...I guess there is one way to find out...:wink:

I'm no food safey expert so anyone here can correct me on this but looking at the ingredient list I think this would keep for a good while in the frig, at least a couple of weeks...like I said, any expert can correct me on this, its just a guess.

We make this sauce by the gallon. Use it on everything from butts to hot dogs to ham sandwichs. It usually lasts for a couple of months in the fridge.

I'm smoking a butt tomorrow on my UDS and I wanted to try a new sauce. The family found the Lexington Vinegar Sauce found in Steven Raichlen's book BBQ USA good, but a bit too vinegary. This recipe seems to have a better sugar to vinegar ratio and I'll be interested to see what role the mustard has on the flavor. So, much thanks for the post!

Back