• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Mexican Pork (Authentic)

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Needed about the same amount of butts as lard for frying and thought it would be a lot easier to use some country style ribs. The Rick Bayless recipe (as most others) says there is no substitution for the lard and do not try to use any other oil. Lard is cheap so I got lard. Orange slices, cilantro, a pinch of cinnamon, and salt and you got PORK that will make you eat till you bout drop or at least I did. All Mexican stuff is a lot mo betta with as many condiments as you can add, so these Sopes were home made and loaded with homemade salsa verde (garlic and onion in pan went into the blender with equal amounts of japs, tomatillios, and a handful of cilantro), beans, lettuce, mater, onion, avocada, dollop of sour cream, and some radishes on the side.

IMG_4322.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

IMG_4332.jpg

IMG_4333.jpg

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

Two thumbs up. :cool:

So are they boiling in there, or is that melted lard for frying?

Two thumbs up. :cool:

So are they boiling in there, or is that melted lard for frying?

Kinda half boiling and half frying as all that orange liquid has to evaporate before they just boil. You would not believe how good the orange slices are by themselves! Peel and all.

I meant just fry instead of just boil on the above. Sorry.

Last edited:
You are killing me this morning.

What a way to go though!

That all looks great. I will sometimes make gorditas with masa leftover from tamales, similar to a sope, but they are either split and filled or folded over like a really thick taco.

That all looks great. I will sometimes make gorditas with masa leftover from tamales, similar to a sope, but they are either split and filled or folded over like a really thick taco.

Masa regular (for tortillas, gorditas, sopes) is different than masa preparada for tamales though. The masa for tamales has more of a runny consistency, because they prepare it with lard and other stuff where as regular masa is more like a sticky dough.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh count me in on that right there!!!

My neighbors are hispanic (mexican restaurant) and I can relate to your meal there! Looks great. Glad dinner is close, 'cause I'm drooling over your pics! Nice job!

Masa regular (for tortillas, gorditas, sopes) is different than masa preparada for tamales though. The masa for tamales has more of a runny consistency, because they prepare it with lard and other stuff where as regular masa is more like a sticky dough.

Yes, the masa for tamales is called "prepared" and for tortillas it's unprepared. Lard has been added to the prepared. I buy fresh prepared in 5# blocks and it is pretty firm. I only add enough broth or water to make it spongy, so it spreads easily. It still works for gorditas or tortillas because the lard helps it release from the press and also lubes the griddle.

fdf70301.jpg

Mine are Northern Mexico/Southern Texas size, about two fingers wide. And a very even, thin layer of masa.

a3a7ee6f.jpg

That looks really good!!!!:biggrin:

Looks like you made some pork carnitas there. I will try that method for sure. Another way to use those gordita patties is Mexican Pizza. You prepare soem pinto beans with red chile and spoon some on the cooked patties and then top with cheese and put in the oven for a minute to melt the cheese. GOOD STUFF!!

That meal looks outstanding!!

Back