"Cast Iron!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, May 24th!!

Great looking plate Sako. What's in the bean salad? It looks interesting.

Thanks Smokie!

It's pretty simple with pinto beans, chopped onions and cilantro, salt, black pepper, paprika or cayenne for heat, a little bit of oil and a light squeeze of lemon (optional) to lighten it up.

I would like to enter the cat iron TD
Cook thread here - https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291660

Please use the below pic as my entry

Smoked Salted Caramel Cinnamon Rolls

CM-4.jpg

Quick question. I am aware that the entry must be cooked in/on cast iron, but does the entry photo have to contain cast iron? Or is a “plated” version of the cooked item acceptable?

Hamdrew, I'm assuming this an entry? And if so, which is your entry photo?

Yes it is my entry; Sorry! I should have asked & clarified- I had the same question as bbqwizard re: whether a plated shot was okay vs. cast-iron.. since i fudged up and did not think to take a pic frying the tacos :doh:

If okay, the plated 2nd pic, please and thank you kindly

Quick question. I am aware that the entry must be cooked in/on cast iron, but does the entry photo have to contain cast iron? Or is a “plated” version of the cooked item acceptable?

I had the same question as bbqwizard re: whether a plated shot was okay vs. cast-iron.. since i fudged up and did not think to take a pic frying the tacos :doh:

Since the category description did not specify, you don't have to show cast iron in your entry photo, but you certainly can if you like!

Hey guys,
It's been a long time since I've posted any photos. I thought there used to be a sticky somewhere, but I'm not able to find it. Are we still using Photobucket or something newer???? Please let me know. I've got a cast iron entry to post. :shock:
Thanks.

This is my official entry into the Cast Iron Throwdown.

It's been a very long time since I've participated in a throwdown and this one is definitely outside my comfort zone. I almost NEVER cook with cast iron, but what the heck!!

I finally decided on a cheese deep-dish pizza. I bought some pre-made dough from the grocery store bakery, Ragu pizza sauce and a bag of mozzarella. The cast iron skillet was my grandmothers. I coated it with extra virgin olive oil and corn meal. I spread the dough out and brushed oil on the top and then the sauce and cheese. 10 minutes on a medium heat in a cold Weber gasser and shazam............pizza!

It was good, but not great by any means. The dough was cooked through and the bottom wasn't burned. Overall, it was fun and looking forward to trying to be more of a regular in this room.

I couldn't figure out how to rotate the pictures. Please use the plated picture for my entry.

Attachments

• IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 58
I had a lot of fun baking these caramel cinnamon rolls in the smoker. They didn't last long.

Please accept and use the 2nd photo as my entry for this throwdown.

Attachments

• 20210515_115512.jpg
    20210515_115512.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210516_100902_324.jpg
    IMG_20210516_100902_324.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 194
Goose Egg Frittata with Pig Shots

And coming up from the rear of the pack, it's the gray horse with a last minute entry in the Cast Iron! Throwdown Stakes. The track at Brethren Downs is fast and I predict a close race and photo finish :mrgreen: THIS is the link to my cook's thread in Q-Talk.

q6nq5rv.jpg

Back