• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken Skin - To Braise or Not to Braise

RogueWave

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I had posted this in Q-Talk, but someone suggested I post it here. Which is logical because I AM working on a method in hopes of entering my first KCBS comp in September.

The general consensus over there was to employ the boiling water method.

So I've read a pile on the subject at the forums here and taken a lot of notes. AND cooked a LOT of chicken.

Some have mentioned that the steaming action from a covered pan with liquid in the bottom will tenderize the skin and make it bite-through. I've been working on a method for that with the chicken sitting on a rack just above the liquid, but I'm not having a lot of luck.

I was hoping not to have to braise because it would seem you would lose a fair amount of rub that way and I've got the flavor right where I want it. And it seems odd to me that, with the skin side up, the entire skin is not getting fully braised. But if it works, it works, I suppose.

I've been dry brining overnight with salt on the outside of both sides.

I've tried the full gamut from the cheap stuff to the organic. I'm doing both thighs and drums.

Sunday I did a run with no steam at 350. The skins weren't rubbery. Sort of bite-through, but sort of tough. I won't be doing that again.

Was thinking about doing the boiling water method, cooking at 350 next time. Would dry brine overnight. Then boiling water on the skins. Then rub and cook.

Or should I just give up and braise the lower halves of them in butter or chicken stock in a covered steam pan?

It's just chicken, don't over-complicate it.
Lots of videos on YouTube or Facebook. Sign up for TheBBQLeague or take a class somewhere.

I've been working on a method for that with the chicken sitting on a rack just above the liquid, but I'm not having a lot of luck.

I use this method. However, I cook at 300 degrees uncovered for 30 minutes. Then implement the above process of steaming and take the chicken (thighs) up to 200-205 degrees internal. I do not scrape chicken skins either.

This works for me 100% of the time. The steaming in my opinion does very little during this process because I have tried it dry as well with the same results. I just put water in the pan because it makes me feel better lol. So something in your process is giving you the unwanted results. Take your pick, pit temp, internal temp, etc..

Bite thru skin can be achieved in many ways. It seems you are making this more complicated for yourself than you need. Don't use the boiling water technique for comps. It is inconsistent for one and makes the skins shrink almost instantly, which makes all the time you've taken to trim them nice and pretty a complete waste.

The butter bath/chicken broth/whatever else method is one of the easiest ones to employ and you don't lose near as much rub as you'd think. The rub should be set fairly well before it gets covered anyhow. Have you tried it? Heck, you're gonna "lose" rub when you sauce it via brush or dunk. The good thing is you have the option of adding rub anytime you want if you feel you've lost too much. You can also scrape the skins and spritz them with Parkay spray before or after applying your rub. This allows you to cook them uncovered and get bite thru skin.

You may have the flavor right where you want it, today. Tomorrow (meaning whenever your first comp is), you may change your whole profile. I'm guessing you have tasted good comp bbq before? If not, go take a class, judge a contest, or something. I only say this as your flavor may be what you are looking for yet the judges may be looking for something else.

Cheers!

So something in your process is giving you the unwanted results. Take your pick, pit temp, internal temp, etc..
Yeah, I definitely don't take them anywhere near that internal temp.

More like 175.

My meat is incredibly juicy. Is yours still plenty juicy at 200+?

I'm guessing you have tasted good comp bbq before? If not, go take a class, judge a contest, or something. I only say this as your flavor may be what you are looking for yet the judges may be looking for something else.

Cheers!
I haven't. But it's not for a lack of trying.

A few years back there was one a half hour a way. I've always regretted not attending... because they've been few and far between ever since. At the time I had no idea just how rare they would become in my area.

The only one that's even remotely close to me this year is just under a thousand miles away. And that's if it doesn't get canceled. It's scheduled for April in Boulder, CO.

So flavor-wise, I'm just going to have to give my best based on what I've been seeing people do around here.

I'm experimenting with the Blues Hog Champions' Blend sauce right now. Given the high cooking temps in the pellet pooper, hard to get a ton of smoke flavor, even with my Lumber Jack Hickory. So I figured some of that liquid smoke some of the guys are complaining about... may actually help my chicken. We'll see.

Ribs will still get the full Swamp Boys treatment. I feel I've got those pretty well dialed. At least that's what the friends and family tell me every time I blind test those against another combo. But again... we'll see what the judges have to say about that.

Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, I definitely don't take them anywhere near that internal temp.

More like 175.

My meat is incredibly juicy. Is yours still plenty juicy at 200+?

Thighs definitely are. I’m not so sure about legs and desired internal temperature.

and yes The BBQ league is the best tool you can buy for 100$ or less !!! As i would say if i ever get pleasure of being on Old virginia Smoke podcast

If they are in a pan of butter, you can actually change the texture of meat. Instead of a dark meat, it will resemble more of the texture of breast meat. PM me and I'll help with technique, hell save the 100 bucks.....:shock:

^ is it safe to say that would be "cock blocking" the BBQ league????? I'm thinking it would since we're talking about chicken right?

Lol. I’d say so.

No skin off my back. I’m just tossing it out as a potential resource. If I’ve violated a board policy, feel free to moderate me. I’ve often found that you get what you pay for... :shocked::wacko::loco::roll::icon_shy

^ is it safe to say that would be "cock blocking" the BBQ league????? I'm thinking it would since we're talking about chicken right?

Lol. I’d say so.

No skin off my back. I’m just tossing it out as a potential resource. If I’ve violated a board policy, feel free to moderate me. I’ve often found that you get what you pay for... :shocked::wacko::loco::roll::icon_shy
Yeah, that was pretty good, masque13. :-D

Burnt solved it for me. He's been incredibly helpful. The family says it's the best ever. He has my great appreciation. And now we're on to the appearance and recipe honing process.

Regardless, I had always planned on joining. Based on everything I'd read about the league thus far, a hundred clams seemed like a no-brainer. To his credit, the cock blocker highly recommended it too during our conversations.

So I just plunked it down.

I can do killer ribs in my sleep now and my chicken is very close to where I want it. Time to take my brisket and pork to the comp level.

It will also be interesting to see if you/they/Loot 'N Booty... can really help this able west coaster with tri-tip. I figure there's always something to be learned from any capable cook, so I'm lookin' forward to that class too.

Fun stuff!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Last edited:
Back