New MAK Owners Post Your First Cooks Here!

Let's see..... So far:

Thursday I did the initial burn-in and then let it cool off and threw in a Costco Keilbasa and some of the frozen Costco Meatballs. Traeger Gourmet blend. Didn't think much of the smell.

I thought the Keilbasa had great flavor & consistency - definitely a winner (wife wanted me to slice it up and do a quick sear. Maybe next time)

The meatballs picked up a hint of smoke before they got added to the Spaghetti. Not really worthwhile.

Friday I did a Tri-tip. Swapped it out to the Bear Mountain Gourmet blend. MUCH better smell coming out of the MAK. EVO & Montreal Steak seasoning. 235 until internal reached 127. No real bark/crust to speak of. Pulled and let rest for quite a bit (i was expecting it to take longer to reach that internal temp). Fired up the Weber with KBB and some big chunks of Oak. Seared it off until had the crust I wanted.

Verdict: A Winner. Perfect Temp & Appearance IMO. I was amazed at how strong the spice flavor was - I'll have to back off on the seasoning levels in the future. Good smoke flavor.

Tonight: BB Ribs. Swapping out the pellets for Bear Mountain Apple. Slathered the ribs with mustard, then a combo of Paprika, SPG & Onion with a hint of Cayenne. Planning on going about 2.5-1-.5 or thereabouts (3-2-1 with BB's is just going too far IMO). Spritz with AJ during the first part. Wrap with honey and brown sugar & a bit of seasoning. Finish with either Sweet Baby Ray's or Blues Hog - haven't decided yet.

Also going to do some of the Costco Frozen wings (see a pattern here?) for about an hour in the smoke, then over into the Super Smoker to hold until about ready to serve. I cheat and give them about a minute in a deep fryer right before we eat.

Giving me an opportunity to learn the functionality of the MAK 2*. I'll get into the more serious stuff next week.

Didn't take too many pics. Slicing the TT.
1a85ca9e07099ab02871592d21815245.jpg

Edit: Made a separate thread about the "Arrival" of my MAK & a couple of pictures.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291247

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Let's see..... So far:

Thursday I did the initial burn-in and then let it cool off and threw in a Costco Keilbasa and some of the frozen Costco Meatballs. Traeger Gourmet blend. Didn't think much of the smell.

I thought the Keilbasa had great flavor & consistency - definitely a winner (wife wanted me to slice it up and do a quick sear. Maybe next time)

The meatballs picked up a hint of smoke before they got added to the Spaghetti. Not really worthwhile.

Friday I did a Tri-tip. Swapped it out to the Bear Mountain Gourmet blend. MUCH better smell coming out of the MAK. EVO & Montreal Steak seasoning. 235 until internal reached 127. No real bark/crust to speak of. Pulled and let rest for quite a bit (i was expecting it to take longer to reach that internal temp). Fired up the Weber with KBB and some big chunks of Oak. Seared it off until had the crust I wanted.

Verdict: A Winner. Perfect Temp & Appearance IMO. I was amazed at how strong the spice flavor was - I'll have to back off on the seasoning levels in the future. Good smoke flavor.

Tonight: BB Ribs. Swapping out the pellets for Bear Mountain Apple. Slathered the ribs with mustard, then a combo of Paprika, SPG & Onion with a hint of Cayenne. Planning on going about 2.5-1-.5 or thereabouts (3-2-1 with BB's is just going too far IMO). Spritz with AJ during the first part. Wrap with honey and brown sugar & a bit of seasoning. Finish with either Sweet Baby Ray's or Blues Hog - haven't decided yet.

Also going to do some of the Costco Frozen wings (see a pattern here?) for about an hour in the smoke, then over into the Super Smoker to hold until about ready to serve. I cheat and give them about a minute in a deep fryer right before we eat.

Giving me an opportunity to learn the functionality of the MAK 2*. I'll get into the more serious stuff next week.

Congratulations on your new cooker and your first cooks. Any reason why you started with Traeger pellets and are swapping pellets out with each cook?

Congratulations on your new cooker and your first cooks. Any reason why you started with Traeger pellets and are swapping pellets out with each cook?

Want to figure out my likes/dislikes quickly, so I started with the Traeger “Gourmet Blend” as it is cheap and available at Costco - we go to Costco at least once a week. Gotta say I’m not real impressed with that Traeger blend.
Bear Mountain is at Tractor Supply - further away and crappy accessibility, but a new one is going to be built much closer. Hope they carry it too.

Mine is finally scheduled for a delivery tomorrow. I'll go get some sausage from the freezer to thaw out.

That being said, I know the fatty is the traditional first cook, but does anyone know the reason WHY it became this tradition? I was just telling a friend that it would be the first thing I throw on there (after a few staged photos, of course) and when he asked why...I didn't have a proper answer.

I'm doing my first real cook today on my 2*. Chuck roast ribs. Since I still haven't figured out pictures I'll do my best to tell the story. Trimmed most of the fat cap and silver skin off the ribs and rubbed. I'm going to fire up the smoker at 9:00 am. 3 hours at 230 now wrapped and turned the heat up to 275. Did beef broth and butter in the wrap.

Last edited:
Decided to make a second attempt at Beef Ribs. Fresh this time. Mostly S&P with a touch of a few other things. The plan is 250* until ready to pull.
da71734d2c4cc48084d179694db9ece4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm doing my first real cook today on my 2*. Chuck roast ribs. Since I still haven't figured out pictures I'll do my best to tell the story. Trimmed most of the fat cap and silver skin off the ribs and rubbed. I'm going to fire up the smoker at 9:00 am. 3 hours at 230 now wrapped and turned the heat up to 275. Did beef broth and butter in the wrap.

Here is info from Ron on posting pictures:

Attaching pictures:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3437832&postcount=3

Using Imgur (a bit more work up front but worth it for ease of use and ability to place photos exactly where you want them and to choose just the right size):
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3437906&postcount=8

Wow

Cooked a total of 6 hours and I can honestly say these were the best beef ribs I have every eaten. The MAK exceeded my expectations. Pictures of my cook are at the MAK fan page. I know how to post pictures but do appreciate your help. I believe the reason I keep getting the invalid file has to do with my old Apple IPad.

Anyone have tips on cooking chicken breasts/ boneless chicken thighs? Flame zone open or covered? Cooking on the bottom rack or up a notch or 2?

I’m usually cool with experimenting but I’d rather just use some tried and true chicken methods and leave the fun cooks for the weekend.

Anyone have tips on cooking chicken breasts/ boneless chicken thighs? Flame zone open or covered? Cooking on the bottom rack or up a notch or 2?

I’m usually cool with experimenting but I’d rather just use some tried and true chicken methods and leave the fun cooks for the weekend.

We cook a lot of boneless/skinless thighs. 450° start to finish with FZ covers removed. Sooo good :)

e6922c4808d3b95082aa9742d80b3945.jpg

Sorry, late on this thread, you asked about the grill grates, I got the 1/4 grill grate and use it a lot, does a nice job searing steaks, chops and burgers. Strongly recommend. While the smoking is great, I find the big advantage of the MAK is the higher temps you can reach for grilling. I guess I'm getting lazy because it definitely easier and quicker to start the MAK instead of firing up the Egg. I got my MAK 2 Star on sale before Christmas and was able to sell my Timberline. Definitely an upgrade all around. Just need to fix my profile.

Back