another hot holding question - techniques...

nachos4life

Take a breath!
Reaction score
A few questions... I have an alto shaam that I have only used a few times. Looking for the best way to hold briskets and butts for a long time.

what temp setting is best? Manual says 160 for brisket but that seems high to me, but what do I know?

What internal temp should I let the briskets/butts cool down to before holding? what I have done thus far is set them out on the counter until the IT is about 170.

What is the best way to wrap them up? I've just been wrapping briskets in foil with a bit of the au jus and throwing them in there. The butts are in half pans and wrapped in foil. Should I be using food service film?

thanks for any tips!

Hi!

Our chefs at Alto-Shaam would like to answer some of your questions and give you some advice about holding with our equipment!

Can you please send me your phone number so they can reach out to you and give you some more guidance?

Hopefully, you reached out to Alto Sham for their advice.

I have always believed in any hot holding cabinet with active heat, it is best to put the meat in at a temperature that is fairly close to the desired holding temperature. In CA, I would tend to hold at temperatures between 155 and 160 F, just to keep the occasional inspector happy. My preference would be to hold in pans, with plastic film, although, holding briskets in paper is something I would experiment with in the future.

Hopefully, you reached out to Alto Sham for their advice.

I have always believed in any hot holding cabinet with active heat, it is best to put the meat in at a temperature that is fairly close to the desired holding temperature. In CA, I would tend to hold at temperatures between 155 and 160 F, just to keep the occasional inspector happy. My preference would be to hold in pans, with plastic film, although, holding briskets in paper is something I would experiment with in the future.

Thank you! waiting on a call back from Alto Sham. Thanks for the info! much appreciated.

La Barbecue in Austin was holding their briskets (and I believe other meats) at 145 in their Alto-Sham the day I went back in late March...you could see right into the food truck they were serving out of. Temp stayed there the entire time as we waited in line quite a long time. Their barbecue is ridiculously good, so it must work for them. But I agree that you still need to speak to Alto Sham and see what others are doing.

So we did an event this past weekend. Followed Alto Shaam's (and others') advice to hold our briskets. Wrapped in food service film and then wrapped again with foil. Held in the Alto at about 160deg... some were held for 16 hours. They were great and so were the pork butts we held.

So we did an event this past weekend. Followed Alto Shaam's (and others') advice to hold our briskets. Wrapped in food service film and then wrapped again with foil. Held in the Alto at about 160deg... some were held for 16 hours. They were great and so were the pork butts we held.

Did you also wrap the whole pork butts in both food service film and heavy duty foil?

And out of curiosity, do you use the Alto Shaam for holding ribs? If so, wondering what your wrapping methods are and how long you have held them for in there...

Did you also wrap the whole pork butts in both food service film and heavy duty foil?

And out of curiosity, do you use the Alto Shaam for holding ribs? If so, wondering what your wrapping methods are and how long you have held them for in there...

Yes we did wrap the butts that way too.

I have only held a couple racks of ribs for personal use. I don't normally vend ribs. I held some not wrapped at all once for a couple hours and they were just fine. I held some wrapped in foil for more than a few hours (don;t remember exactly) and the got a bit mushy. That could've been a result of the holding temp too.

I've had success holding ribs in my warming cabinet on my pit, so that's what I usually do for them if at all.

Glad to hear the event was a success!

Yes we did wrap the butts that way too.

I have only held a couple racks of ribs for personal use. I don't normally vend ribs. I held some not wrapped at all once for a couple hours and they were just fine. I held some wrapped in foil for more than a few hours (don;t remember exactly) and the got a bit mushy. That could've been a result of the holding temp too.

I've had success holding ribs in my warming cabinet on my pit, so that's what I usually do for them if at all.

Alright, that is very helpful info. Appreciate the response back.

Back