Cooking for 60

Jrogers84

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I am going to be doing a bbq for 60 or so this summer. I plan on overplanning because thats in my nature :becky: I am going to go w/ pulled pork, ribs, and chicken. Mac n cheese, cole slaw and pasta salad for the side. At least thats the plan. How do you guys calculate the amount of food to cook/prepare? I always have a crap ton of leftovers because of my "overplanning" ways. Thanks!

I would say since you have 3 proteins you could guess 5 oz of pork, 5 oz of chicken and 3 bones per person. That is probably even over estimating a little. Problem will be people eating more ribs and pork than actually chicken I would guess. I am like you though too, I overplan because I never want to run out.

It depends on your goal. Is this a family thing where if you rub out of something it's no big deal or is this a catering type job you are getting paid for and need to be covered?

For me as a caterer I'd go into this with 4oz pulled pork, and 1pc chicken (leg quarters cut to make 2pc) and 2-3 bones of ribs per person and tell the client each person gets X number of rib bones and I can cook more per person for $$. Tell guests first pass through they can take 2 rib bones. 2 1/2 full hotel pans of mac n cheese, and about 2 gallons each of cole slaw and pasta salad.

2 1/2 full hotel pans of mac n cheese, and about 2 gallons each of cole slaw and pasta salad.

HBMTN,

When you say full hotel pans, are you talking 6" deep?

HBMTN,

When you say full hotel pans, are you talking 6" deep?

No I mean a regular 2" deep real hotel pan. We find on average a full size 2" hotel pans of mac n cheese feeds 40 people. I've seen it feed as low as 35 people. For a backyard party for friends I'd only do 2 pans but for a catering job I'd add a half pan to cover my rear.

No I mean a regular 2" deep real hotel pan. We find on average a full size 2" hotel pans of mac n cheese feeds 40 people. I've seen it feed as low as 35 people. For a backyard party for friends I'd only do 2 pans but for a catering job I'd add a half pan to cover my rear.

Thanks. For the wedding in June (100 people), I am planning on 3 2 1/2" deep hotel pans of mac and cheese. Based on your comment above, I should be good.

This is more of a backyard family thing. If I run out of something...well they can eat the other stuff :p I usually cook way too much food when I cook for large groups but have never taken the time to do the math. This is a few more people than usual so I was hoping to fine tune it a bit. I appreciate the replies. It has helped a ton! Thanks

Back