• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Who's got a good smoked mac & cheese recipe?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
YO BRETHREN!!!!

I'm on the hunt for a good smoked mac & cheese recipe.
Help a brother out yo!

Thanks in advance.

No recipe, just technique. I have made mac and cheese in my WSM with okay results but I found better option was using cold-smoked cheddar in the recipe. The smoke flavor permeates the entire casserole when done this way. YMMV

2 cups pasta
1/2 stick butter
3 cups milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 package shredded cheddar
1 package colby jack
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together (dry pasta) and put into 9x13 pan

smoke at 250ish for 2ish hours

broil extra cheese on top if desired

I use he amazing ribs recipe for "crack and cheese". I put it in a cast iron skillet and "cook" it either on the Weber or the PBC. I have added brisket, green chiles and even pulled pork to it.

It is great as a side or the main course if you add BBQ in it. I also do a low carb style with cauliflower instead of pasta. I chop up the cauliflower and cook it like pasta. Then add it to the cheese mix.

Now I'm hungry!:clap2:

....it might not interest a lot of people here but there's a restaurant I know of that smokes their own tomatoes and uses them in mac and cheese-always been tempted to try this and can salsa.....

Although I do not have a recipe I will say Velveeta is awesome smoked. Carefully remove the top tinfoil and get it as far from direct as possible.

Gotta give props to Smokin John, his mac n cheese is always a hit at the So Cal bashes

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2618056&postcount=27

I'll second that. I'm not a big fan of Mac & Cheese, but this is the most amazing Mac & Cheese I've ever had! :clap2:

There it is! I was looking for that - great stuff! Thanks for digging this up & make room for some of this a week from Saturday! :whoo:

One more for SmokinJohn's mac n cheese. The only recipe I use when it's time for mac n cheese.

Well this certainly has the vast majority of recommendations!

Does the cayenne give this much kick?
I'm going to make this for a catering gig.
May have to try this this weekend for......you know......test run. :becky:

I like the idea posted from the operation BBQ post with the mac n cheese recipe of using butter to melt the cheddar then adding in white queso instead of milk! :hungry:

Well this certainly has the vast majority of recommendations!

Does the cayenne give this much kick?
I'm going to make this for a catering gig.
May have to try this this weekend for......you know......test run. :becky:

Not at all since not much is in there anyway. I've only had one person tell me how pleasant the little cayenne kick was at the end but she's got a sophisticated palate. I've served it to a bunch of folks that can't stand heat and they never even tasted anything because they scarfed it down with no complaints.

I like a baked mac n cheese... I cook by the seat of my pants allot...

1lb Elbow Mac
1 lb bacon
1 to 1.5 cups milk
4 cups grated sharp chedder min
Extra cheese for topping

I use a quarter hotel pan sized aluminum pan..

Put your bacon on the grill and get it crispy.. set aside to cool. Crumble when cool to nice bite sized pieces, NOT bacon bits sized.
Get your water on to boil...
As your water just starts to get up to a boil... put big pot on for making cheese sauce.
Start with your milk warming up... do NOT let it boil.
As the milk just starts to get warm,... start stirring in the grated chedder little bits at a time so it melts fast... keep stirring.
Get your pasta in the water.... start your timer. If the pasta says 9 min go 8.
Keep adding cheese to the sauce till it is all combined. Add the bacon...

When your pasta timer is up drain it and rinse in cool water... drain again.
Add pasta to the cheese sauce and add it directly into the aluminum pan.
I put this right in my smokers oven. for 30- 40 min at 275 or so...

I like to add cheese a few minutes before taking it out to add a little crust of cheese.

The only thing I make that goes faster is my smoked sausage stuffed poppers.

This is my favorite by TuscaloosaQ.I leave out the sour cream because the wife does not like.
This was posted by TuscaloosaQ and it's good!

Sweetie Pie’s Macaroni & Cheese

1 lb. Elbow macaroni
1 cup whole milk
2 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup butter cut to small pieces
½ lb. Colby cheese grated
½ lb. Monterey jack grated
½ lb. Sharp cheddar grated
1 lb. Velveeta cut into small pieces
1 cup sour cream
Salt to taste
1tbsp white pepper
1tbsp sugar
1 cup grated mild cheddar for topping

Heat the oven to 350° or the smoker to your normal cooking temp. Prepare a deep sided 9x13 pan by coating with cooking spray. Set aside. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add salt and macaroni and cook by package instructions until tender. Drain well and transfer to baking pan. While the macaroni is cooking combine the milks and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, sugar and stir to combine. Top with the mild cheddar and bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. About 1½ to 2 hours on the smoker at 275°. (optional) I like 1 tsp of hot Hungarian paprika in mixture.
awscwi

Back