• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Second dance with WSM 22.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Baby back ribs, beef short ribs, and beef shank steaks. The short ribs and shank steaks got smoke for 3hrs and then went into a pan to braise. They finished last (no pic). Once the WSM was dialed in it held almost perfect at 250 for 7hrs on 14lbs of charcoal before the temp finally started to drop. 20lbs and I feel comfortable that this cooker could do an all-night brisket while I sleep. There were no surprises. It runs like a machine. I still miss my stick burner but this is a fun cooker much like my old drum but better.

Attachments

• 20210502_130307.jpg
    20210502_130307.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 294
  • 20210502_170219.jpg
    20210502_170219.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 20210502_170412.jpg
    20210502_170412.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 292
Looks great, I’ve been feeling nostalgic about WSM’s lately and want to try cooking on one again. I spent the first many years of my barbecue adventure only cooking on them, and I haven’t cooked on one since venturing out.

7 hours on 14# of charcoal...Was that lump or briqs?
Briquettes. They weren't the best quality (Embers). I'm certain a better quality briquette would yield longer cook time. I could claim I'm still learning the cooker but there is nothing to learn. It's set and forget. I'll upgrade the charcoal on the next cook.

Briquettes. They weren't the best quality (Embers). I'm certain a better quality briquette would yield longer cook time. I could claim I'm still learning the cooker but there is nothing to learn. It's set and forget. I'll upgrade the charcoal on the next cook.

I did my first cook on my new/used 18" today. Used lump. Temps were unstable. Have had similar results with my 14". I need to try some quality briqs I guess...

I did my first cook on my new/used 18" today. Used lump. Temps were unstable. Have had similar results with my 14". I need to try some quality briqs I guess...
I almost used RO lump today but something told me to stick with briquettes and the Embers is all I had. I use them to start my fire pit. I love lump but I think the WSM is designed to run most efficiently on briquettes.

Mighty Fine Sir! I've had my 18 WSM for about 11 years now. Can tell you that once you venture into foil wrapped water pan only that you fuel times can go way up with proper vent control. Lump burns too fast and too hot in a WSM but that's just me. Water in the pan keeps the heat easier to control but you will use more fuel. Experiment when your ready and find what you like. The WSM Masters live here: https://tvwbb.com/

These are Great Smokers!

Last edited:
Yep, an empty, foil-wrapped water pan is the way to go. It does take some occasional fiddling with the air intakes to maintain the temp that way, but that's nothing compared to running an offset. You get a little of the vaporized drippings flavor without it being overpowering. As long as the weather isn't too cold, I can get 14 hours out of a full ring of KBB and still have a little left over at the end.

I have found that the B&B Competition Briquets work best in the WSM 22, they burn hot, long and leave less ash. I have gotten 8 - 9 hours with about 10 lbs before it is harder to maintain temps.
Did you put another grate @ 90* on the charcoal grate? That keeps the larger pieces that are still burning from falling to the bottom, and gives a little longer cook.
I have the same problem, ever sense I got my BX 50, I have to make sure I give the WSM some Love too.

I use B&B lump and get 8 hours if I load to top of ring and 10 if I heap it. I like the flavor profile better the KBB. With KBB I can get 12-14 hours.

I have found that the B&B Competition Briquets work best in the WSM 22, they burn hot, long and leave less ash. I have gotten 8 - 9 hours with about 10 lbs before it is harder to maintain temps.
Did you put another grate @ 90* on the charcoal grate? That keeps the larger pieces that are still burning from falling to the bottom, and gives a little longer cook.
I have the same problem, ever sense I got my BX 50, I have to make sure I give the WSM some Love too.
I completely forgot about the extra grate trick to catch the smaller coals. Will give it a try next time.

I’ve had the 14.5 and three or four 18’s, another brand of bullet and the tamales steamer pot home made mini. All moved on to new homes. I’ve always been amazed at how well that design works. Really good food.
I’ve never had a 22”. May start watching the secondary’s. I’ve read they have a hinged lid mod. That’s why secondary, don’t know I could make myself drill holes in a NIB cooker.
Beef shank steak has me Googling and somewhat drooling.

I’ve had the 14.5 and three or four 18’s, another brand of bullet and the tamales steamer pot home made mini. All moved on to new homes. I’ve always been amazed at how well that design works. Really good food.
I’ve never had a 22”. May start watching the secondary’s. I’ve read they have a hinged lid mod. That’s why secondary, don’t know I could make myself drill holes in a NIB cooker.
Beef shank steak has me Googling and somewhat drooling.

I got the Hinge from Southern Bandit and yes, the drilling of holes in the WSM is a challenge, A tapered drill bit , and some tape over the area keeps the coating from chipping. Love the hinge because you dont have to put the lid on the ground, or somewhere else.

Lately I've been smoking with the pan out completely "live fire style". Love cooking this way for chicken and certain pork cuts. Love using lump also.

Attachments

• 20210424_205737.jpg
    20210424_205737.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210418_204742.jpg
    20210418_204742.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47
Back