Using Wood Pellets For Flavor

smokinajs

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone out there uses wood pellets in their metal cookers. I don't own a pellet cooker but thought about trying some wood pellets in my cooker. Feedback anyone?

What kind of cooker are you talking about? The thing with pellets is that they burn pretty quickly unless you have good and proper air control. I would say faster than wood chips. If you are talking a charcoal grill, you may be better off with wood chunks.

Try it and see.

That would be regarded as cheating around here!! :cool::biggrin:

Do you not believe in using REAL wood?

Try putting them in a old cast iron skillet with indirect contact and a piece of foil over the top with little holes in it . The pellets are made of wood aren't they?

I would think if you rap the pellets in foil like you do chips that should make them smoke and last longer.

I would think if you rap the pellets in foil like you do chips that should make them smoke and last longer.

Make the package tight and make a 1/4" hole ,ONLY one for the smoke to come from. Place the smoke pack on the hot coals hole side up.

Make the package tight and make a 1/4" hole ,ONLY one for the smoke to come from. Place the smoke pack on the hot coals hole side up.

This is the way. Very tight foil package, one small hole. I go even smaller than 1/4 inch. Use an ice pick and just barely puncture the foil. Each foil pack [about 1/3 cup of pellets] will send out good smoke for about a half hour or so.

This is the way. Very tight foil package, one small hole. I go even smaller than 1/4 inch. Use an ice pick and just barely puncture the foil. Each foil pack [about 1/3 cup of pellets] will send out good smoke for about a half hour or so.

I call them smoke bombs and they work wonderful!
Lots of pellet flavors out there to experiment with.

TIM

Back