MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #16
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

That looks amazing. You inspire me to up my game. I've been taking notes. One fine day.
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #17
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dammitboy!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2021, 10:34 PM   #18
TravelingJ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
That looks amazing. You inspire me to up my game. I've been taking notes. One fine day.
Right? A thirdeye thread is basically a neon sign to me that says "want to see how to make something you never would have thought of?"
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2021, 11:41 PM   #19
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Looks great, but that's buckboard bacon. Look delicious.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #20
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
Looks great, but that's buckboard bacon. Look delicious.
In appearance it resembles Buckboard, but one bite will change your mind.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #21
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Outstanding. That looks and sounds amazing. Love pastrami. Have never used pork for it
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #22
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
Outstanding. That looks and sounds amazing. Love pastrami. Have never used pork for it
The curing brine is still a work in progress. Because of the flavors I have a feeling it will be good for corning beef as well. Short ribs are on the list for sure. I want to do at least two more roasts in order to fine tune the ingredients. Especially the salt. But below is the prototype brine. I'm using an optional phosphate injection step that many might want to skip. So I'll likely modify the recipe and instructions to go either way.

Basing it off of one gallon of Pop's Brine is for simplicity and safety in mind. Adding assorted aromatics will hopefully make it really easy to corn meat that actually tastes 'corned', not just 'cured' with a few pickling spices sprinkled in. Here is a peek at the ingredients in the brine I used this time:

Porkstrami ~ A work in progress​

Boneless pork butt, cut in half or thirds.
112 ounces of water
16 ounces of beer
125g canning salt (reduce this?)
30g white sugar
4 tablespoons pickling spice (maybe reduce to 3T)
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
6 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Old Bay
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cloves

22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down)

OPTIONAL: AmesPhos – this is calculated at 1.8 g/lb of meat weight and mixed into an amount of brine that equals 10% of the meat weight.

Pastrami seasoning - thirdeye recipe (or a 50:50 mixture of pastrami seasoning and thirdeye's Garlic Pepper blend)

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #23
thirdeye

Default Porkstrami Round 2

I've made another Porkstrami, and there are some changes in the recipe. I lowered the salt, reduced the pickling spices, and added dwell time to the injected meat before it goes into the corning brine. looking forward to using this method to corn beef, and I might do a pork loin to see how sliceable that is for making Pork Rueben's

The previous porkstrami I cut into smaller roasts, this time I did a 7# boneless butt.

Porkstrami ~ Round 2 ~ A work in progress

Boneless pork butt
112 ounces of water
16 ounces of beer
80g canning salt
30g white sugar
3 tablespoons pickling spice
1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
6 bay leaves
1 tablespoon Old Bay
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cloves

22g Cure #1 (note: this is added after the brine has cooled back down)
AmesPhos – this is calculated at 1.8 g/lb of meat weight and mixed into an amount of brine that equals 10% of the meat weight.

Pastrami seasoning - thirdeye recipe (or a 50:50 mixture of pastrami seasoning and thirdeye's Garlic Pepper blend)

Instructions
Day 1 - Combine all ingredients EXCEPT Cure #1 and AmesPhos, into a stock pot. Slowly bring up to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Do not let this mixture come to a boil. Allow to cool on the stovetop, then refrigerate overnight. De-bone pork butt and slice into thick roast(s), tie with string so it holds it’s shape.

Day 2 – Strain the brine. Add the Cure #1 to the chilled brine and mix very well. Measure an amount of brine equal to 10% of the meat weight (for example: 2000g of meat needs 200g of brine for injecting). Calculate the amount of AmesPhos (1.8 g/lb of meat) and mix it into the 200g of brine. Inject the brine into the meat. Hold meat in a plastic bag for about 8 to 10 hours so the phosphate can start to work. Then add the meat into the covering brine, and cure for 13 days, agitating the liquid daily. Remove meat from brine rinse and soak about an hour. Pat the meat dry, add pastrami seasoning. Rest in the refrigerator 12 to 18 hours.

Day 3 – Smoke the meat up to 5 or 6 hours or until it gets a nice color and the internal is ~160°. Move to pressure cooker with some pork broth. Process for 35 minutes, then use natural release. Check tenderness and if needed…. Process again for 5 or 6 minutes.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Oil Patch Horizontal

Thanks from: --->