• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Memphis In May Results

I don't know anything about MBN stuff or Memphis in May, but how does Myron win Grand Champion winning whole hog, but evidently not scoring in anything else. Is GC just for the whole hog category?

HmEoibm.jpg

This contest has come a long way since Bessie Cathey won the first event, beating a couple of dozen contestants in a parking lot. A barbecue man once told me that it's uncertain whether she collected the $500 prize because the contest rules said winning cooks have to give up their recipes.

Anyways, it just goes to show that foil wins. Oh, that was 43 years ago. :doh:

I don't know anything about MBN stuff or Memphis in May, but how does Myron win Grand Champion winning whole hog, but evidently not scoring in anything else. Is GC just for the whole hog category?

I believe you only enter one main category also, so winning whole hog and the overall event is a pretty strong accomplishment.

If I had won five times I would probably be pretty jacked up about it myself.

Plus I’m a Myron fanboy so listening to him discuss his greatness is ok with me. Lol.

I believe you only enter one main category also, so winning whole hog and the overall event is a pretty strong accomplishment.

Absolutely, I just figured it would be like KCBS where you are scored in all catagories and can be GC without winning any of them. But, like I said, I never read MBN rules. And I like Myron, I think he would be a hoot to hang out with.

Memphis in May selection

How do teams get selected to compete at Memphis is May?

How do teams get selected to compete at Memphis is May?
It is not an invitational but I think they do have a limit on how many teams they accept due to limited space. Anybody can sign up but that may not guarantee you get a spot.

If you are interested in the details of competing at MIM, check out a fellow brethren's website, http://www.toosaucedtopork.com. They have a ton of details about the event, judging and even guides for people who just want to attend the public portion of the event. They also allow people to pay to join their team (not sure if they were able to do that this year), which helps fund the massive costs and to get more people a true experience of competing at the event.

If you are interested in the details of competing at MIM, check out a fellow brethren's website, http://www.toosaucedtopork.com. They have a ton of details about the event, judging and even guides for people who just want to attend the public portion of the event. They also allow people to pay to join their team (not sure if they were able to do that this year), which helps fund the massive costs and to get more people a true experience of competing at the event.

I checked out the website that gives details about the event. Had NO idea it could be that expensive. WOW!

Memphis in May judging is different from KCBS. The finals judges are looking for the best barbecue of the day. There are 3 finalists in each category; hog, shoulder and ribs. Finals judges evaluate each of the 9 finalists to determine the winner. There is the overall winner and there is still a 1st place hog shoulder, and rib.

Memphis in May judging is different from KCBS. The finals judges are looking for the best barbecue of the day. There are 3 finalists in each category; hog, shoulder and ribs. Finals judges evaluate each of the 9 finalists to determine the winner. There is the overall winner and there is still a 1st place hog shoulder, and rib.

I read that Myron Mixon won GC due to his scoring differential from the other teams. Is that how it works and if so does that mean a 1st place in ribs with the largest score differential could be GC?

I read that Myron Mixon won GC due to his scoring differential from the other teams. Is that how it works and if so does that mean a 1st place in ribs with the largest score differential could be GC?

That is correct.

You can only enter one category at MIM.

The first round consists of a blind box and 3 on-site judge presentations. The top 3 in each category move on to the finals.

In the finals, the same 4 judges judge all 9 final teams (3 from each category) at the same time on-site (the judges are all on-site at the same time). They determine the winners in each category as well as the overall Grand Champion. So much more goes into this than just the food. The presentation and your pitch are a huge part of your score. Myron is an ace at delivering his food and message to those final judges and is on the shortlist of favorites anytime he can final.

Tim from Shake’N Bake and I teamed up as Blues Hog and were fortunate enough to win the world championship in pork shoulder. It was our 2nd MIM and first time cooking shoulders. No shame in losing to Myron. MIM judging and the competition are a very unique animal and Myron is one of the very best in the business at cooking and presenting whole hog. He has certainly earned his championships.

That being said, we plan on taking him down next year! We will have complete coverage on The BBQ League for those interested in learning more, including our winning shoulders start to finish.

Last edited:
You can only enter one category at MIM.

The first round consists of a blind box and 3 on-site judge presentations. The top 3 in each category move on to the finals.

In the finals, the same 4 judges judge all 9 final teams (3 from each category) at the same time on-site (the judges are all on-site at the same time). They determine the winners in each category as well as the overall Grand Champion. So much more goes into this than just the food. The presentation and your pitch are a huge part of your score. Myron is an ace at delivering his food and message to those final judges and is on the shortlist of favorites anytime he can final.

Tim from Shake’N Bake and I teamed up as Blues Hog and were fortunate enough to win the world championship in pork shoulder. It was our 2nd MIM and first time cooking shoulders. No shame in losing to Myron. MIM judging and the competition are a very unique animal and Myron is one of the very best in the business at cooking and presenting whole hog. He has certainly earned his championships.

That being said, we plan on taking him down next year! We will have complete coverage on The BBQ League for those interested in learning more, including our winning shoulders start to finish.

Congrats Brad to you and Tim both. Incredible job! Looking forward to the shoulder video.

Back