Porkstrami Using A Boneless Butt

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
I'm trying to replicate pastrami, but using pork butt. This time I made a corning cover brine based on Pop's Brine, but added 16 ounces of beer and really bumped up the aromatics. In addition, I took some of the chilled brine and injected 10% by weight into the meat. I did use some phosphates in the injection, and kept the meat bagged for 3 or 4 hours before adding to the brine.

I made 3 cross section roasts to increase the bark, and tied them for shape. Here they are after 13 days of corning, and after seasoning.

saSskPA.jpg

Ye4GByw.jpg

Ready for the BDS... low-n-slo for 3 or 4 hours, then my usual pressure finish.

mU9HLxH.jpg

MBr0Oi4.jpg

gu6TvrQ.jpg

28AFcXb.jpg

I was going for a sliceable porkstrami, just like I do pastrami.... but I think pullable might have a place. Regardless, the bark really makes it.

GvzsuQf.jpg

Here is what the porkstrami looks like chilled and sliced for a sandwich on sourdough.

sejTMvn.jpg

AJuWzlp.jpg

Looks great! I like your hanging rack, I'm going to steal that idea for my drum.

Mine is about 15 years old and I use it a lot. The hardest part was finding someone with a ring roller to roll the 1/4" stainless rod. Mine is easy to grab and spin the entire rack to balance out the cook. Here is a better look.

EjzmCe7.jpg

A buddy made one for his BPS drum, and it has several sliders like the one shown. This is a good idea.

5iPaSnZ.jpg

All that said, the Hunsaker Rib Rack is not that expensive and has good features. I'd call them and get the actual outside diameter to make sure your grate bolts are long enough.

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/products/rib-hanger-with-6-s-hooks

Love it! Though something about "pulled pastrami" does sound pretty damn good

Love the outcome, the color is phenomenal! You certainly nailed that one.

Wow! I would say that was a big success.

That has to be awesome!

Love the outcome, the color is phenomenal! You certainly nailed that one.

Thanks for the kind words. The bridge I was was trying to cross with this was the flavor. Once you cure a pork butt, you get ham, or Buckboard bacon and the meat is slightly pinkish.... but has the traditional ham flavor.

MvkZvOW.jpg

If you start with ham, the pastrami spices do help.... but it's still ham with a pastrami bark. I wanted the 'corned' flavor in the meat, with pickling spice, bay leaf, garlic, etc., so I jacked those seasonings up. I still have some fine tuning, and I want to try the brine on some beef as well. So it looks 'ham-like' but it has a 'corned' back flavor to the in-your-face pastrami flavor.

GvzsuQf.jpg

Back