Do You Even Tallow

By the time they got done slicing ... everything was swimming in tallow. Are you a tallow guru ? I haven't tried it yet as I feel my artetries start to clog just watching ....

I’ve never Tallowed other than what the brisket makes itself. Like everyone here I’ve heard and read about it. I’ve seen the YouTube of celebrity Pitmaster in their home environment with soaked butcher paper. I never really understood the when part. This short video answered a bunch of my questions. I liked the comment when they were “chewing the fat” so to speak that the non tallow had a crunchy bark and better taste. I don’t always hit that crunchy bark but more often than not when I Boat fat cap up.

I may try the Tallow, someday. Honestly until Brisket gets off its $80 high horse my brisket cooks will be somewhat limited. I love brisket and love cooking it, but love other foods just as well.

Wonder what the YouTube "presenters" will do shows on once the tallow craze is over.

I would imagine it is hard to come up with fresh content after a certain point.

/pfft - I have my own work problems- they will sort it out I guess.

I'll be trying this out on Sunday.
Primarily the dollop under the brisket during the last final hours.
Maybe lay off on the final drip on the outside of the paper.

I may try the Tallow, someday. Honestly until Brisket gets off its $80 high horse my brisket cooks will be somewhat limited. I love brisket and love cooking it, but love other foods just as well.

Spot on 16Adams. My biggest take away from all the videos is it seems like the tallow is mainly to make the bark look more wet and to maybe soften crispy spots. I might give it a try for holding when brisket prices come back down but i don't usually have a problem with moisture or charring on my briskets. I don't like the idea of the tallow blanding out the seasoning though. I'm don't plan on trying injecting tallow etc into briskets, i think that's getting a little out there from the Mad Scientist video that started all the tallow hype.

I tallowed two of the last three briskets I did. Can't say that it made a difference. The last one I went back to my early roots and smoked it at 225 on my UDS, no tallow, I had forgot just how good of a brisket I could do. I had gradually increased my temps until I was smoking Hot n Fast at 300, I'm going back to longer cooks at lower temps, the results justify it.

This started with Aaron Franklin's "Secret" for making his great brisket. Someone claimed to figure it out. Tallow! Anyone know if Aaron has weighed in on this?

The long rest between 150-170 degrees appears to be the more important step. Tallow would be extra insurance when serving 50-100 briskets a day?

Last edited:
I miss the days when we just smoked briskets.

It is so complicated now. Now I need an espresso-rubbed 3rd degree-blackbelt left-handed Waygu brisket wrapped in an organic tallow-soaked artisanal butcher paper, smoked over sustainably-sourced eastern Scandinavian broad-leaf post oak that has been cured at precisely 86.75309 degrees for 37 weeks. Is that right? I can't keep up.

SmittyJonz Walmart Select with Adkins Rub still a pretty solid way to achieve a nice brisket
Our grocery bins out here are full to the brim with brisket. At current prices I find myself buying steaks.

I have been tallowing when I vacuum seal it and it does wonders on keeping the brisket from drying out.

I miss the days when we just smoked briskets.

It is so complicated now. Now I need an espresso-rubbed 3rd degree-blackbelt left-handed Waygu brisket wrapped in an organic tallow-soaked artisanal butcher paper, smoked over sustainably-sourced eastern Scandinavian broad-leaf post oak that has been cured at precisely 86.75309 degrees for 37 weeks. Is that right? I can't keep up.

Sounds like what will happen when Starbucks get into the brisket game.

Back