Ceramic vs Cast Iron - Kamado Safety Q

edapp

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am wrapping up an outdoor kitchen build, and have installed a Goldens Cast Iron kamado style grill as a part of it.

The grill is sitting on a pair of ceramic "kamado feet" that I believe are made by primo. They provide about 1.25" height and air gap under the cooker. Under these feet is a 1.25" granite countertop, and under that a layer of prefinished plywood and under that 2x6" pine which supports the weight of this beast of a grill.

I did a burn in/seasoning last night and ran the cooker at about 300 degrees for a couple hours. During this I was very surprised how hot the granite was getting. Too hot to touch on the surface, and because the face frames are not installed on the cabinets yet I can feel some of the underside of the granite material as well. It was quite warm, but not too hot to touch. after a couple hours I opened the vents and let it heat up more, planning to just let it burn through the remaining charcoal. I checked the granite when the grill was up to 450, and the underside of the granite was too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. At this point I became worried and shut the grill down.

I have had green eggs in the past, and never noticed the outside surface of the grill get this hot. I have had one installed on a concrete paver, sitting on a wood cart for years without issue or worry. They are sold to be installed on these carts with a minimal air gap (1.5" I believe) directly over wood. If the difference in a cast iron kamado, and a ceramic kamado, that significant in the amount of heat it will radiate?

My plan is to raise the height of the cooker another 1.25"-2.5" and test again. I am having granite squares cut, which I will place under the ceramic feet. I would love to hear everyones input, or if anyone has any experience with a built in Goldens. They sell a "mini" sized cooker, that comes with a small stand similar to the green egg stand. I dont see anything in their literature about excess heat, not placing this on combustible surfaces, etc. Am I being too cautious here??

I am wrapping up an outdoor kitchen build, and have installed a Goldens Cast Iron kamado style grill as a part of it.

The grill is sitting on a pair of ceramic "kamado feet" that I believe are made by primo. They provide about 1.25" height and air gap under the cooker. Under these feet is a 1.25" granite countertop, and under that a layer of prefinished plywood and under that 2x6" pine which supports the weight of this beast of a grill.

I did a burn in/seasoning last night and ran the cooker at about 300 degrees for a couple hours. During this I was very surprised how hot the granite was getting. Too hot to touch on the surface, and because the face frames are not installed on the cabinets yet I can feel some of the underside of the granite material as well. It was quite warm, but not too hot to touch. after a couple hours I opened the vents and let it heat up more, planning to just let it burn through the remaining charcoal. I checked the granite when the grill was up to 450, and the underside of the granite was too hot to touch for more than a few seconds. At this point I became worried and shut the grill down.

I have had green eggs in the past, and never noticed the outside surface of the grill get this hot. I have had one installed on a concrete paver, sitting on a wood cart for years without issue or worry. They are sold to be installed on these carts with a minimal air gap (1.5" I believe) directly over wood. If the difference in a cast iron kamado, and a ceramic kamado, that significant in the amount of heat it will radiate?

My plan is to raise the height of the cooker another 1.25"-2.5" and test again. I am having granite squares cut, which I will place under the ceramic feet. I would love to hear everyones input, or if anyone has any experience with a built in Goldens. They sell a "mini" sized cooker, that comes with a small stand similar to the green egg stand. I dont see anything in their literature about excess heat, not placing this on combustible surfaces, etc. Am I being too cautious here??[/QUO

Last edited:
I've never taken temps under my Goldens, but would suspect as you've experienced, temps to be up there under the firebox. Perhaps use a non-combustible cement board as would be used around a fireplace? I'm not sure if granite has the heat resistance you're looking for but others with more experience may chime in.

I'd suggest calling the folks at Goldens for their advice.

Will the cooker be bolted down to avoid any tipping or rocking when the lid is open?

The cooker is secured with 10" structural screws through the granite and into the wooden sub frame. My original plan was to use several layers of cement board under the granite, but chose to remove that and use the air gap instead assuming it would be better at not transferring the heat from the grill.

I did not expect the bottom of the kamado to be so hot, I never recalled so much heat below the firebox on my green egg.

Will be calling Goldens to see what they recommend. Again, the "base" they provide with their mini sized cooker provides a minimal amount of air gap.

Have you considered fire brick from a big box store? They are 4 X 9 X 1.25" thick and can withstand 2500°. However if it's 2500° on one side I have no idea what the temp is on the opposite side.

Another option is fire brick they build chimneys out of, they are the size of house bricks.

YxPBb.jpg

Thinking back to my heat transfer days, my guess is that somehow you're transferring heat by radiation, rather than conduction or convection. I have used a tabletop fire pit with an umbrella pole on the table. Without any shielding the pole gets too hot to touch. Add a simple sheet pan or foil between the two and the pole stays at air temp. I used foil tape around my pole, but perhaps something as a simple as a piece of aluminum foil or a sheet of polished solid aluminum would provide enough of a shield against radiant heat transfer. My two cents (and probably worth about that :) )

It is definitely radiant heat transfer, which will be much more efficient with cast iron vs ceramic.

I.agree that any sort of non flammable barrier that is not a good conductor of radiant heat (an unglazed ceramic tile would be perfect) should stop the transfer to the base under the cooker.

It is definitely radiant heat transfer, which will be much more efficient with cast iron vs ceramic.

I.agree that any sort of non flammable barrier that is not a good conductor of radiant heat (an unglazed ceramic tile would be perfect) should stop the transfer to the base under the cooker.

I tend to agree with this. Would it be better for the ceramic tile to be in contact with the cast iron, or separated by an air gap?

Cooker-feet-ceramic tile-granite

Or

Cooker-ceramic tile-granite all in direct contact.

Thinking back to my heat transfer days, my guess is that somehow you're transferring heat by radiation, rather than conduction or convection. I have used a tabletop fire pit with an umbrella pole on the table. Without any shielding the pole gets too hot to touch. Add a simple sheet pan or foil between the two and the pole stays at air temp. I used foil tape around my pole, but perhaps something as a simple as a piece of aluminum foil or a sheet of polished solid aluminum would provide enough of a shield against radiant heat transfer. My two cents (and probably worth about that :) )

I joked to my wife this morning that maybe a sheet of aluminum foil would do the trick. Worth testing just to know if something that simple could work! Maybe I could suspend it between the feet somehow.

Back