Pellet Smoker Grilla grills vs Rectec vs Traeger

FertileTurtle

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have been researching pellet grills. I would really like to purchase one in the next couple of weeks. I thought I had eliminated Traeger but then I read something bad about the grilla grill or rec tec and think maybe I shouldn't eliminate Traeger so quickly.

The 3 grills I have mostly looked at are the RT-590, the Grilla Silverbac Alpha, and the Traeger I had only really looked at the Ironwood 650 (this one is considerably more money with no real additional benefits it seems.

I live in NY, so cold climate cooking will happen, which made the double lined barrel of the Silverbac seem very nice. The iron wood also had double insulated walls. My main question in this category though is since only the bottom of the barrel of a silverback is double lined wouldn't heat still escape from the top? Does the double insulation down low do that much? Or make it better than say a Rec Tec?

RecTec's seemed to be loved by everyone who owns them, but I also wonder if this is partly due to the fact reviews get deleted by the company if they're negative. However I have read a lot of praise here for them as well, so this makes me believe they really are a solid choice. The Rectecs seemed very well built with SS throughout and the ceramic igniter, but GG seem to be built equally solid with SS components almost throughout.

Traeger I have just seen so many mixed reviews and they dont seem to have the customer service of the other two companies, which has made me kind of dismiss this option.

At this point I feel like I've over researched, which has caused me to look outside my initial price point, but I would appreciate some insight from anyone who has experience with these cookers. I'm also open to other cooker ideas. I know these have been discussed, but just wanted to see if the updated wifi in the grilla made it more inline with rectec or some other feature I may be missing has been added recently.

Thanks in advance.
-J

Welcome to the group J. You made a wise decision in joining. I have an older Rec Tec 680 and have no complaints. The reason for the good reviews in my opinion are it's a great product and great CS. I do most of my cooking in a garage addition and in the winter I use an old bath towel to help insulate and it's worked rather well. They also sell an insulation kit. So Rec Tec would be my vote but, I heard good about Gorilla as well

I just purchased a Grilla SB a couple weeks ago. It had initial issues with the Ignitor and fan connectors that were reversed.
My initial contact with CS was by email, and they were responsive, but once I called and talked to a live person, it was resolved in short order.
I can’t really comment on the amount of smoke yet, because I am using PitBoss pellets at the moment. I want to give B&B and Lumber Jack a chance before I issue judgement.
I did just order a smoke tube though.

I thought about the RecTec as well, but after looking at reviews, warranty, Customer service, I chose the Grilla.
I think I would have been happy with either.
Traeger wasn’t really in the running due to reviews.
As well, I did think about the MAK and others, but I just didn’t want to spend double or triple the $.

I hate the gimmicky horns on the Recteq, but it’s a good grill. So is the Grilla though, and now that it has WiFi standard I would lean towards that especially with the insulated body. Traeger quality for a comparable priced machine is just not there.

Thanks for the replies. Based on what I've heard so far CS is great for both the Grilla and Rec Tec, sounds like ruling out the Traeger was the right move. It seems the Traeger CS is spotty at best and the quality on both other options seemed better to me as well.

Again thanks for the info and welcoming me in. I look forward to any other input as well!

Also, if you dont mind me asking Mike - what were the initial issues you ran into with the Grilla?

Couldn’t get to, or keep any temperature… the Ignitor and fan connectors were reversed. Easy fix.

That's funny that you hate the horns. Seems like people either love or hate them. Seeing how I got one love them. No matter what your opinion is there is no mistaking them so I guess it's got some marketing merit behind it. Plus they have been on The Price Is Right and Let's Make a Deal lately :laugh:

I have the RecTeq RT-700 and truth be told I am not a fan of the horns. At some point I am going to get rid of them and make a straight pull handle.

I did a lot of research and watching youtube before I settled on the RecTeq.
Choices were narrowed down to RecTeq, Camp Chef Woodwind and Grilla Grills.
Have zero regrets about going with the RecTeq. Ive had it since march of 2020. Supposedly their customer service is great but I cant speak to that as I've yet to need them.
It does smoking very well but I'd stop short of calling it a grill. Thats not where it shines.

If searing is a need for you then I'd look at the Camp Chef Woodwind with a sear box.

I didn't even consider Traeger when I was looking. They weren't even in the running.

I would disagree with the above statement on not calling it a grill. My kids love pizza off of my RT-700 and if you add the grill grates it sears all meat very well. It's my daily grill and a smoker secondary.

I have an RT-590 and I use it a lot. I made baby backs yesterday, and today I'll be making meatballs. It's a great cooker, I am happy with the smoke flavor I get compared to other pellet grills I have used, the WiFi app is great as well.

I'm not a big fan of the horns, but whatever.

Buy a MAK. Someone had to say it. Lol.

Or build a UDS.....

I got a RT 590, love it. The horns are functional, guess I haven't really judged the all out looks of them. It holds temp great and the wifi works good. My only complaint is some of the alarm options on the app, but I'm picky and petty about things.

Looking like there are a lot of happy RT owners out there.

Bob, I had looked at the MAK's along with Yoders and Blazn grills, but I was trying not to spend that much. That being said it seems the community, based on the threads I've read since joining, loves MAK as a whole. I just get hung up on how its worth double or even triple (depending on model) of the RT or SB, which seem to be built pretty well with the SS.
I'm not saying I couldn't be swayed though lol.

I also wanted to add the horns on the RT's aren't my favorite either, but it wouldn't be a showstopper. It seems like something that could be swapped out easy enough down the road.

I still don't understand how the flavor of one center burn pot pellet smoker can vary from any other center burn pot pellet smoker, they all seem to be the same basic setup. I'd be interested to hear!

I don’t think pot location affects Smoke flavor in any measurable way. I do think temp swings and draft levels make up all/most of the differences between pellet cookers which is admittedly small. Pellets composition also contributes a small difference. Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've owned an older traeger, a 2016 GMG, and just bought a grilla grill silverback AT and I like the grilla the best. No issues so far, and just like any other pellet smoker good bbq. With a set and forget smoker. Not heavy on smoke but still good. I went with it due to the cart and it is awesome to move around.

I don’t think pot location affects Smoke flavor in any measurable way. I do think temp swings and draft levels make up all/most of the differences between pellet cookers which is admittedly small. Pellets composition also contributes a small difference. Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The only reason I mention the pot location is that it seems like all the center ones can't give you the offset-like convection of, say, a Yoder with the fire pot on the left and the stack to the right. The center ones just seem to fill the chamber with smoke and heat with no real flow pattern.

We got our RT590 a little over two yrs ago snd we love it. I have also found RecTec’s customer service to be great as well, having used it for a cosmetic issues that I caused.

As far as the Mak, I’m sure it’s a great pellet grill.

But like the original poster, I had a hard time justifying that kind of coin for a pellet grill, as I like variety and prefer the taste of food smoked over wood and charcoal, when time permits. Typically this means my WSM or Kamado Joe with either a FireBoard or a BBQ Guru controller. Prefer steaks seared on cast iron in my Kamado, or better yet, on my Otto Wilde.

I use the pellet smoker now for convenience.

The horns bother me a lot less than dropping 2k on a pellet grill would have, knowing how O cook and my family’s tasted.

So pellet grill, of the original poster’s choices, I’d pick the RecTec.

Last edited:
I lost my love for Traeger when their support went downhill and they started patenting stuff they didn't create then suing the creators (WiFi on a pellet grill).

There are a lot of great pellet grills on the market and in my experience all of the major brands are capable of putting out great food. The cook has more value than the cooker. It's about choosing what features you find value in and reviewing the construction to anticipate how long you hope it will last, then learning the grill. All of the grills mentioned will likely be fine smokers for ease and simplicity. None of the 3 will probably perform very well for searing and high temp grilling with no direct grilling solution. My experience with Traegers was that at 400-450 degrees it took a crazy long time to get to 400+ and when cooking things like burgers it took a long time to recover back to grilling temps every time you flipped them or opened the lid to check on them.

Back