• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

pre prepped

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
i read that meat can be trimmed before arriving at a contest. can i also make sauces and marinades and mix rubs before i get to the contest? is there anything else that could or should be done before arrival. thanks.
phil

I'd be carefuil about doing anything to your meat before arrival. I THINK you'd be OK but a few folks last year impressed upon me that to avoid any question at all, meat inspectors like to see the meat still in cryovac or other original store packaging.

Anyone with more experience, is this correct?

It is perfectly acceptible to trim your meat prior to contest. The rules state that NO seasonings be applied to the meat prior to check in. As for rubs, marinades ect. , you can do what you want with these as long as you don't put them on the meat. I always get my rubs and concoctions together prior to contest.

To the best of my knowledge, Jay is totally correct.

I guess my question is why?
Prep only takes an hour or so and there seems to be plenty of time.
Of that time, only a few minutes is "trimming" and that is mostly the spares. The rest of the time is injecting, rubbing, etc and you still have to do that after inspection anyway.

If it is in "factory" packaging--"no questions" and meat inspection becomes a formality. We like it that way.

We premix our spices (except Chad's glaze/sauce) also.
Mainly because it is much easier to transport that way.
Also avoids the problem of "forgetting" one or more ingredients--Old Ziemer's MOD :redface:

TIM

If it is in "factory" packaging--"no questions" and meat inspection becomes a formality.

Isn't meat inspection really a joke anyway? Sure they check to see if you have one of each that's still in its "original condition" but no one ever checks to see if that is what you actually cook and turn in.
To think that pre-seasoned meats aren't making it to the judges table is laughable. Don't get me wrong, this is something I would never do, I wouldn't want to win that way, but it has to be going on.

KC no disrespect intended, and I'm usually the cycnical one in the group and the believer of conspiracy theories, but why do you think it has to be going on?

why do you think it has to be going on?

Simply because there are NO measures to prevent it, and some people will do anything to win.

Tim: As far as pre-prep, I like to get my seasonings on the meat ASAP after the meat is checked in. If you can get that rub on the meat 30 to 60 min. earlier than if you took the time to trim ect., why not??

Besides, it gives you more time to relax and have another Beer---I mean coffee :wink:

I'd be surprised if it was to any large extent. Most of the competitors do this with a sense of pride and I think winning by breaking the rules would diminish that pride.

Scott: There are always going to be people who " Cheat ". My only hope is that there are enough of us that feel as I do. If you cheat you don't really feel like you have won anything. I have seen some questionable activity as I'm sure most of us who compete regularly have also. If they get caught they risk being banned from competition for a minimum of two years. I only hope that there still is an honor system among the true competetors out there.

Spice

BrooklynQ said:
I'd be surprised if it was to any large extent. Most of the competitors do this with a sense of pride and I think winning by breaking the rules would diminish that pride.

Rob,

While I do agree with you, the prize money is getting up there and so are the costs of competing. That being said......

Smoker said:
Rob,

While I do agree with you, the prize money is getting up there and so are the costs of competing. That being said......

i was just going to say that, money changes everything. while i also believe that the majority of competitors in any event(not only bbq) are on the up and up, without a system in place to prevent such action, there will always be the shadow of a doubt.
phil

Well - lets get some answers from some more of the big boys who been on the circuit for years. Jim? Doc? KCpellet?

The circuit has some of the best people I have ever met, and competitions are based on the honor system...I like to think that 99.9% of us are honorable men/women with integrity. I for one, would hate to win knowing it wasn't on a level playing field and within the rules. I think most competitors feel that way, and if someone doesnt, he has to sleep at night and look in the mirror the next day.

This was discussed to some extent mixed in with this thread...(recreational cooking/pre-rubbing meat)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13110

Heres Rods responses:
kcpettethead said:
I apologize if this has already been answered correctly, as I didn't read this entire thread. You are absolutely allowed to bring preseasoned meat and/or cooked meat to a contest. Your contest meat is separate. The inspector will only ask to see your competition meat. The organizers, reps, meat inspectors know that folks have parties on Friday night.

While we're on the topic though, let's be honest, if somebody wants to cheat, they can. There are always going to be ways to cheat. If it means that much to people, so be it. After all, they are the ones that have to live with themselves. There are too many good, honest people at barbecue contests to think that cheating is wide spread. I have met so many great folks cooking. Cheating or not, you still have to cook the stuff.

Go out and have a good time. Be friendly to the folks that pass by and be courteous to your neighbors. That's really what it's all about, isn't it?

kcpellethead said:
As for the cheating comments, if I thought I saw someone cheating, I'd ask them about what I saw. If I knew for sure a team was cheating, I'd go find a rep or contest organizer. Although I don't make it a point to look for cheaters at contest, in the 80 or so contests I've cooked, I've never seen anyone doing anything that looked to be against the rules . . . .well, unless you count the guy that was seasoning his meat with his shirt off this past weekend. I don't really think he meant to break the rules, besides others seeing him that way was punishment enough . . . .LOL

So, bottom line.. i doubt it, dont believe it. There may someone out there that thought about some form of cheating, but once they hit the circuit, and see the integrity of the competitors i cant believe it would be done. This is about being the best, and beating the best, and most important, havng fun.. . Why go there if your going to cheat.?

OK, so I'm the naive one. There's never been a pro athlete use steroids, never been a nascar too low to the ground or with and oversize fuel tank, never been a dirt track car in the under $3k division with a $10,000 roller cam engine, or a soapbox derby car with a magnet in the nose, or a 15 yr old pitcher in a 10 and under baseball league or a corked bat or misuse of ventilation fans in Minnesota. All just figments of my imagination.

Grow up, pre seasoned or injected meat goes in the box at every contest.

kcquer said:

I believe it. I've seen some of Phil's butts with tumor looking things inside of them.

not denying it.. it maybe so..... maybe likely, and i may be in denial, but hopefully.....

1- They don't win, and realize it was no advantage, or
2 - They win and their conscious stops them from doing it again.

and.. also.. in most cases, theres no single person team, and the TEAM has to be in on the cheat.. not just one person.. I know that my teammates would stomp a mud hole in my a$$, or at least lay a guilt trip on me the size of Pittsburg if i tried to cheat and brought in something pre-done.

kcquer said:
OK, so I'm the naive one. There's never been a pro athlete use steroids, never been a nascar too low to the ground or with and oversize fuel tank, never been a dirt track car in the under $3k division with a $10,000 roller cam engine, or a soapbox derby car with a magnet in the nose, or a 15 yr old pitcher in a 10 and under baseball league or a corked bat or misuse of ventilation fans in Minnesota. All just figments of my imagination.

Yeah, but Scott, professional athletes by and large aren't some of the nicest folks you'd ever wanna meet! :smile: Does it happen? Yeah, I'm sure it does occasionally. Does it happen EVERY contest? I doubt it. Just guessing but I'd say maybe 2 or 3 out of ten.

Well, I just completed my 70th contest, so I have done a few... If I have time before I go to a contest, I prep (trim) my ribs and chicken in advance.. Most of the time I do not have this luxury, but its great when I do.

Now on to if there are those that pre-season or inject... I am sure there are (but I have never seen it).. Are they winning the contests? I doubt it...

I've heard comments about a couple of well known cooks that win alot, and I don't believe the comments... Besides, there is plenty of time to get flavor into the meat without having to resort to those tactics..

Back