if you were starting over what would you do differently?

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
If you experience restaurant owners, vendors, and caterers had to do things all over again what would you do differently??

I'm just in the very beginning stages of exploring the idea of getting into some catering and vending jobs and looking for some advice from people who've already been doing this for a while.

My idea is to sell some central texas style BBQ and do all the meats by the pound and the sides a la carte.

I've been studying places like Franklins BBQ, LA Barbecue, Adamson BBQ in Toronto, and Lewis Barbecue in Charleston SC.

I want a simple menu....3-4 meats, and a few sides to choose from.

Well that's the vision....now to plan the execution. lol.

I plan on calling our township health department this week to find out about licenses and permits.

If you were just starting out what equipment would you say is a must have?

Would you go with some type of concession trailer?

Or maybe just start out with a decent size bbq pit on a trailer to tow to various events?

I know meal prep and holding will be super important. Suggestions on holding the meats for several hours to keep them as fresh tasting as possible?

Like I said I'm in the very beginning stages of planning to see if this is something I would even enjoy doing.

I think a really cool BBQ join like Franklins BBQ or Lewis BBQ would do really well in my area.

But first I just really want to focus on putting out some really good barbecue for smaller groups.

I know my post is kind of vague....just looking for ideas on obstacles I might run into and things I could plan for from the beginning.

Thanks everyone.

I would do almost everything different knowing what I now know. Just starting out though I think you need to just go with the learning experience and take it slow. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I would have changed things and it would have caused my business to take off that much faster then that could have caused me to fail because I don't know if I could have handled it in the early stages. Goes back to the old saying you need to learn to crawl before learning to walk. Make sense?

I would have found a local caterer and asked to work for them to gain some experience and get a better idea of how to prepare a lot of food for a lot of people.

The logistics of safely transporting food and setting up for a big event would have been great to learn before I jumped in the deep end. :rolleyes:

I also would have seen a podiatrist and made sure I had the absolutely best orthotics and comfortable footware possible. After ten years of sitting down driving a truck, my feet were woefully unprepared for being on them for 12-16 hours a day. :becky:

I would have spent a lot more time on here asking more questions. The amount of information available is astounding and it's an invaluable resource, as people like HBMTN are showing you right now.

Medic 92 brings up a great point about learning while getting paid. If you can land a job with a successful caterer for a year or so it can save you a ton of money. Experience is a great teacher.

I went to and graduated from culinary school and I can say that catering and buffet was one of the most difficult sections of training. I would much rather do 50 dishes a la minute that to serve 250 at once. I also must add that the profit margin for both is about the same so I will take preparing for 50 in an air conditioned kitchen with the best equipment any day over working in the field. Yes catering is a rewarding and fulfilling career if done correctly but things can go down hill quickly. Re firing one plate is much easier to handle that starting a steamship over!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Yeah I definitely want to start slow and small....lol.

I have a friend who owns a restaurant and who also does boxed lunches for local businesses, and does some catering and vending events.

I'm meeting with him this week to ask his advice. He's actually offered that I could work under him as an independent contractor and be covered under his license and insurance and we could possible do some jobs together.

He said he'd want 20% and he'd even get me setup with his restaurant manager who could help me figure out food costs and come up with a menu and pricing and help calculate profit margins.

It could be a good way to get my feet wet to see if its something I would even enjoy doing.

As far as cooking, and transporting food....what must haves would you recommend?

Whats the best way to hold BBQ so its good to serve for several hours? I see a lot of restaurants are using the Alto Shaas or CVAP warming ovens.

What about keeping cold side items chilled?

Thanks

He's actually offered that I could work under him as an independent contractor and be covered under his license and insurance and we could possible do some jobs together.

He said he'd want 20% and he'd even get me setup with his restaurant manager who could help me figure out food costs and come up with a menu and pricing and help calculate profit margins.

This might be a viable option short term. I'd set the time period up front with him and have an exit date where I go out on my own. 20% of sales is nearly 50% of profit and possibly higher depending on your structure. To have the help he is offering along with the knowledge of food ordering, costing, etc it's a very interesting offer to consider short term 12-24 months. I know he is a friend but just be clear and have an attorney figure out the fine details and make sure that when you walk away you take the business and not him. Just trying to look at all sides of this good and bad, if you all had a falling out and you were operating under his business, insurance and ordering food through his venders, etc it could be said that it was his business not yours and he was sub contracting you to run it for him. It could leave you walking away with nothing. A lawyer can sort that out up front with a contract of some sort.

This might be a viable option short term. I'd set the time period up front with him and have an exit date where I go out on my own. 20% of sales is nearly 50% of profit and possibly higher depending on your structure. To have the help he is offering along with the knowledge of food ordering, costing, etc it's a very interesting offer to consider short term 12-24 months. I know he is a friend but just be clear and have an attorney figure out the fine details and make sure that when you walk away you take the business and not him. Just trying to look at all sides of this good and bad, if you all had a falling out and you were operating under his business, insurance and ordering food through his venders, etc it could be said that it was his business not yours and he was sub contracting you to run it for him. It could leave you walking away with nothing. A lawyer can sort that out up front with a contract of some sort.

Yeah thanks for the feedback.

I'm not totally sold on this idea yet. I'll know more once I call the health department tomorrow to see what the various licenses and permits are.

A better option might be to find a commissary kitchen I could rent out to do all my food prep.

Yeah thanks for the feedback.

I'm not totally sold on this idea yet. I'll know more once I call the health department tomorrow to see what the various licenses and permits are.

A better option might be to find a commissary kitchen I could rent out to do all my food prep.

I think the idea of working with him could be a great start because you will have food business knowledge helping you get started. I'm just saying define up front all legal aspects and exit goals thats all.

He said he'd want 20%

When your profit margins are likely to be in the 30% range (if your doing everything right) You'd be basically working for free.

I know a few people who would have kept from going broke and going out of business if they would have followed some of the advice in this thread. Good stuff guys!!!! One of my old neighbors took the leap and started a food truck/catering business. They guy can flat out cook/grill/bbq etc. But as most of y'all who are in the business know, it's one thing to know how to cook, it's another thing to know how to run a business.

The guy isn't doing so well. Not sure how much longer he's going to stay at it.

The more I look into the more I'm not so sure its worth all the hassle and headaches. lol.

I have done some more research and found a commissary kitchen about 10 minutes from my house that I can rent space in for about $125/month.

That would allow me to get the permits, licenses and the food handling certificate in order to do vending and catering jobs.

Just based on what I'm hearing though the profit margins sound really slim.

Is 30% net profit what you all are shooting for on average?

A typical BBQ business. Roadside, catering or brick and mortar all end up with the same formulas...
Food cost 30-35%
labor 15-20%
Overhead 20-30%
Anybody can cook BBQ but how you control those percentages will determine if you actually make any money. :thumb:

I'd start out with better shoes! After driving a truck for ten years, the shock of being on my feet all day left me hurting. I'd lay down to go to bed and wouldn't be able to sleep because my feet were still throbbing. If I would have started with better shoes/orthotics it wouldn't have been so bad.

A typical BBQ business. Roadside, catering or brick and mortar all end up with the same formulas...
Food cost 30-35%
labor 15-20%
Overhead 20-30%
Anybody can cook BBQ but how you control those percentages will determine if you actually make any money. :thumb:

I am still mid stream in opening. I have had businesses including catering. I agree with BBQ Bubba completely. Know the numbers to be successful. chef-resources.com has a bunch of very useful spreadsheets and articles to help you get your numbers. Also SCORE is a non profit small business resource, with free business plan development, mentoring etc. Do your homework, gather information.

I think the idea of working with him could be a great start because you will have food business knowledge helping you get started. I'm just saying define up front all legal aspects and exit goals thats all.

Even though your friends make sure you don't get into a "no compete clause" agreement.

Back