collegiate uds new pictures and build

A

aquasport

Here are some pictures of the newest builds. I am building 3 right now. 1 will be black, 1 is going to be Gamecocks and the other is going to be an Alabama Crimson Tide. I will post pictures as I go and of course the finished product. I can't find the pictures I had of the charcoal basket but I did have 1 of it in the drum but it is not very good. I will take more and post them also.
040.jpg

the cutout for the access door.
041.jpg

assembly line
046.jpg

the access door in progress
048.jpg

the bolts installed to for the grill rack
045.jpg

closeup of the dampers on the clemson uds. There is one on each side of every uds I build. The hole is 1 1/4".
044.jpg

the damper opened.
042.jpg

a not so good picture of the charcoal basket. all this is is a stainless steel grill wok you can buy from Home Depot for $14. It might hold about 10lbs. of charcoal. I use 3" bolts for legs and all thread for the handle. My latest builds use a 16" round pizza pan installed on the legs of the basket as an ash catcher. I will post more pics of the baskets soon.
clemsonsmoker113.jpg

I will post more pictures as I get them.

Aqua,

Good looking build. What are you using to cut the holes in the sides of the barrels, whiz wheel,grinder?

A jig saw with a good metal blade for the access door cutouts and a metal hole saw for the damper holes.

Just curious, but why not just make a bigger charcoal basket and avoid putting a door in the side of the drum and risking air leaks??

Mine is 17" in diameter and 10" tall. Have never checked how many pounds of charcoal it will hold, but filled like this will last 12 hours with coals left over. I have never had to refill during a cook.

Next time I open a new bag I will see how much it will hold.

Attachments

• DSC02498.jpg
    DSC02498.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 291
Cost. I have priced it out using expanded and it will cost me more the way steel prices are. Besides, I can get 10 hrs at 225 with this basket. If I'm cooking at 250 around 6 hrs and then have to add more charcoal to maintain 250 but that is only when doing butts. I always turn my butts half way through so that is the time when I add more charcoal. The access door is sealed so no smoke or heat escapes there. It is nice to have. I have been using these for 3 years with good success. When I can't buy the stainless baskets anymore than I will probably switch to expanded.

Wow these are great! I can hardly wait to see the Gamecock one.

I am almost convinced to try my hand at doing one.

What kind of paint do you use?

Here are some more pictures during the build and the almost finished products. I still have to put the dampers on and touch up the smoke stacks from the overspray but they are pretty much finished.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Installing access door
004.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

Drilled hole to install smoke stack
006.jpg

Smoke stacks installed
007.jpg

008.jpg

1st UDS in plain black
009.jpg

010.jpg

Gamecock UDS--color is a little off from taking picture in the dark
013.jpg

Alabama Crimson Tide UDS
012.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

Still have to touch up the overspray on the stacks
clemsonsmoker113.jpg

My favorite team and UDS
clemsonsmoker2.jpg

Great looking drum builds. I can't wait to see some pron of your cooks on them.

More pictures of collegiate builds. Northwest, I have guys buying these so it will be a while before I post any pron. Trust me, I wish I was cooking on them.
001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

I think this one came out a little too purple for some reason. I might have to repaint it. Give me some opinions please.
004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

Ok, these are awesome. The door is a nice touch especially if it is well sealed, though I have never had to add midway through thus far. I assume the stack doubles as your lid handle? really makes me want to repaint mine...

Man! Those are really nice drums! I have been itching to put a door on one for all wood cooking.

I thought you said in a previous thread that you used a sealant or gasket on the door to make it air tight. Do you just use the latch and leave it at that? Can you shut the drum down completely and make the fire die out to save charcoal?

Really nice work! Enjoy the game tonight.

Go Tigers!

Hugh, I use a black rubber seal around the door to make it air tight. I can't shut it down completely because there is no damper on the stack but if I shut off the bottom dampers it does put the coals out but not right away but quick enough that there are still plenty left to use another day.

Where do you get the paint? Most places I looked mainly carry the rustoleum black.
Thanks

Only problem I see is that the Alabama drum isn't number 1. Oh, and none of them really qualify as an "UGLY" drum smoker.

Gus, after building quite a few of these I have found out that you can use any brand of good quality paint. I stick with Rustoleum, Valspar and Krylon. Any of them hold up to the heat. I accidentally let the Gamecock smoker get up to 410 deg. today because I left both dampers open and it didn't do anything to the paint. Luckily I was just doing a dry run before the guy I made it for came and got it so there wasn't any meat on it or it would have been history.

Regular paint. IMO, high temp. paint is only if you plan on being above 500 deg. But, if you happen to have a grease fire in your uds then there is a good chance the paint will burn off the drum so avoid any grease fires and you will be ok. Sometimes when I take the lid off the rush of oxygen catches the wood on fire that I have in there but it still isn't hot enough to burn off the paint and usually when you put the lid back on the fire goes right out.

Back