Please assist for quantities for a wedding

dseskin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need some assistance from you to make sure that I am not over or under catering a wedding I am doing.

So there will be 80 people and they have asked for the following menu

Brisket
Side Ribs
Coleslaw
Beans
Potatoes

I have looked at the quantities and I am scared to run short and always want to leave some extra behind for the family to enjoy the next day.

Brisket - 4 x 14lb = 56lb - about 0.7lb uncooked.

Side Ribs - 30 Racks - and that will work out to 3 people per rack =/- I know this gives me about 3 ribs per person excluding the ends robs that are smaller

Any advice from the Brethren will be appreciated.

Take care and happy smoking

To be safe you should figure 6oz brisket minimum 8oz (safer) per person. With ribs unless guests know they can only have so many per person you'd go through TONS. Honesty I'd have servers for this menu (food control) and bill the extra labor to the client. My recommendations below for quantities. We've never done a carving station for brisket but othere here have said you will go through way less. Until I tried it I'd go with the below to be safe.

Brisket 80lbs raw whole packers
Side Ribs 3 bones per person
Coleslaw made from 10-13lbs cabbage
Beans 3 10# cans doctored up (2 would probably do it)
Potatoes Mash potatoes? Id so made from 20-25lbs of potatoes (30 if you decide self serve buffet)

To be safe you should figure 6oz brisket minimum 8oz (safer) per person. With ribs unless guests know they can only have so many per person you'd go through TONS. Honesty I'd have servers for this menu (food control) and bill the extra labor to the client. My recommendations below for quantities. We've never done a carving station for brisket but othere here have said you will go through way less. Until I tried it I'd go with the below to be safe.

Brisket 80lbs raw whole packers
Side Ribs 3 bones per person
Coleslaw made from 10-13lbs cabbage
Beans 3 10# cans doctored up (2 would probably do it)
Potatoes Mash potatoes? Id so made from 20-25lbs of potatoes (30 if you decide self serve buffet)

Thanks a million - To me it seems like a lot of brisket but know there is lots of shrinkage for the cooking process.

Thanks a million - To me it seems like a lot of brisket but know there is lots of shrinkage for the cooking process.

We find that on average if you weight out 13lb plus whole packer briskets as they are in the cryovac then trim and cook them and weight the usable product when done the average raw weight brisket yields 7.2oz per lb. So as a rule depending on whether you decide to go with 6oz or 8oz per person you can figure 1lb of raw brisket per person give or take a little.

From my notes on a brisket buffet we did with no other meats and it was self serve we used 6.5oz per person on one event luncheon so you could figure higher for a dinner.

We find that on average if you weight out 13lb plus whole packer briskets as they are in the cryovac then trim and cook them and weight the usable product when done the average raw weight brisket yields 7.2oz per lb. So as a rule depending on whether you decide to go with 6oz or 8oz per person you can figure 1lb of raw brisket per person give or take a little.

From my notes on a brisket buffet we did with no other meats and it was self serve we used 6.5oz per person on one event luncheon so you could figure higher for a dinner.

Great - thanks a million - do you also serve smoked tips with the ribs that has been trimmed from the ribs - maybe into smaller squares around 2.5"

Great - thanks a million - do you also serve smoked tips with the ribs that has been trimmed from the ribs - maybe into smaller squares around 2.5"

I cook whole spares and serve them "long bone" tips and all. I don't trim them to a St. Louis.

Back