Looking For Some Help

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
One of our Directors at work has asked me to cook for a company BBQ at the end of May. They are purchasing all the supplies, but I need to figure out how much rub.

700 people expected to attend, they are asking for pulled pork and brisket.

So I am looking at 350# of each protein, should yield a 4 oz serving of each protein per person after fat renders, moisture loss, etc.

With that in mind, how much rub will I need for 35 butts (average 10# each), and 25 briskets (assuming 14# each)?

The cafeteria at work is providing all of the sides, hot and cold holding, etc. I am fairly certain I can fit that many butts and briskets on my SF in one batch if I cook some of the butts in the warmer.

Main chamber has 3 30x80 racks, and warmer has 3 30x30 racks.

Thanks for the help.

I do an event every spring for charity and cook 25 briskets (14lb average) for it every year. I go through between 6 and 8lbs of rub for it based on the way I apply run (it's going to differ for everyone) so I'd say for your cook maybe 12-16lbs of rub. I'd apply a light coat to everything and then go back a time or two thickening the layer to make sure you have enough to get a even coat on everything in case you run low on rub. If you are worried about running out get 20lbs that would cover you for sure.

To your question about fitting meats on the pit. I can tell you that 25 briskets fills and Lang 84 (top and bottom racks) AND a FEC120. I could squeeze maybe 3-4 more briskets on the Lang but I don't like to crowd them too much. That's a total of roughly 35 cubic feet of cook space (between the two cookers) and you have about 69 cubic feet of cook space so you should be fine.

Last edited:
HBMTN,

Thanks for the response. I will have work purchase 30# of Black Ops just to ensure I don't run out, and it will leave some for me.

Do you feel that 3 one gallon containers of Dizzy Dust is enough for 35 10# butts?

Thanks,

Mike

HBMTN,

Do you feel that 3 one gallon containers of Dizzy Dust is enough for 35 10# butts?

That's more than plenty, one would do it but if work is buying then I think it will take three :)

Back