Food truck timeline / schedule

bradgreer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering for those of you that run a food truck or similar type of food vending, what kind of schedule doe you keep?
It seems to me that because of the long cook time on some things, that it really would be a huge time commitment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

It sure is unless you are reheating pre cooked barbecue (which I don't). When we do sell road side concessions we are open 10am-3pm or until we sell out if earlier. By 3pm I'm wiped out and made much less profit than catering which is why I'd rather be catering.

we burn sticks... when we've done lunch time events we are prepping meat and sides day or night before and getting up early to cook hot and fast to have it all ready for service. we now have an alto shaam we hope to put to good use.

No disrespect intended, but if 'how many hours will I work if I go into this business' is a mystery or a concern,,,, I would recommend another line of work, or sign on to work for someone who will only want you to work 60ish hours a week to keep you overtime down to a scant 20 hours. Just sayin'

we burn sticks... when we've done lunch time events we are prepping meat and sides day or night before and getting up early to cook hot and fast to have it all ready for service. we now have an alto shaam we hope to put to good use.

How long would an alto sham allow one to hold meat and not lose much in the way of quality? (obviously depends on the meat type, but looking for a general response)

How long would an alto sham allow one to hold meat and not lose much in the way of quality? (obviously depends on the meat type, but looking for a general response)

For briskets and butts 12 hours is fine in my opinion; however, I have read of people holding for 24 hours. I have not done that. I held some ribs yesterday for abnout 3-4 hours and noticed no loss of quality.

Back