MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:46 AM   #31
sudsandswine
Babbling Farker

I snapped a pic of the included info sheet when I opened the package in case anyone needs it

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->

Old 04-14-2021, 10:08 AM   #32
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

I did some vortex chicken wings for my first try of the Saigon 21. Rubbed with olive oil and a couple of tablespoons of 21. Turned out great. Flavor was awesome. I will try the pho recipe this week. Definitely will order in the future. Thanks Mike.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #33
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Let 'em in Sammy

I did grilled shrimp with it last night. Good stuff and I will be placing an order once it is available.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #34
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

I was on vacation when Mike offered the chance to try the new Saigon 21 rub. So I volunteered for a sample and it arrived while I was gone. Got home late last night and this morning find the cubbard to be pretty bare. However, I spy a bowl of Tapatio Ramen Noodle Soup, chicken flavor. So based on the recipe suggestion sheet that Mike included in the sample and in 16 Adams MSU vein, I decided to add 1 scant teaspoon to the soup.

I have to say the end result was a very pleasant surprise. Even with my untrained (or unrefined) palate. To my recollection, I have never eaten Vietnamese food. But I really liked the flavor that Saigon 21 brought to the soup mix. I would definitely do it again.

My initial plan is either wings or pork steak or both for the test run. Now that I've had a taste I'm really looking forward to that. I would also like to get some pork belly to try after seeing Andy's post.

I wouldn't know what to add to or take away from the seasoning. I think Mike has a real winner here. I think this spice will make great gifts to friends and family.

Thank you for the sample.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:29 PM   #35
TravelingJ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Tonight we did the Pho Ga recipe that was included. She isn't normally a fan of soup (will I at least get a sandwich with this?!) but then when she saw the noodles go into the bowl, she was instantly interested.

Followed right along with the recipe, and definitely could taste the spices tonight! She is NOT into heat, and she commented on the tingle it had on the tongue, how it wasn't over powering, and just made you want to go back for more. I did add a few scallions for color, and it had enough flavor to support if you wanted to add a bit more heat. The serving size was hearty. I did a double batch, and we probably ate 3/4 of it, and were stuffed.

I realize Southeast Asia has several countries, but this is a flavor palate I'm quite unfamiliar with, and we have really enjoyed the changeup. I've sent a few of the food pictures to my friends, and several of them are ready to buy it when it's released-just based on the label description and the brand history. I know I'll buy more to keep around. Personally, I could take a bit more salt in this, but I'm from the type of family where my dad keeps a salt shaker in his truck. Also, I say that from an "I love salt" perspective and not a "this is lacking salt" perspective. The two nights we've had it so far, are the first two nights in a while that I haven't reached for the salt grinder.

Congratulations Mike. You convinced me to buy chicken breasts (something I haven't done in several years) and also made it enjoyable (I'll never admit that in public!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pho Ga Ingredients.jpg (41.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Pho Ga.jpg (44.5 KB, 156 views)
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #36
QN
is one Smokin' Farker

Finally got to try this rub last night. A big THANK YOU to Mike for this opportunity. I have actually learned from this. Prior to this rub I knew nothing about what Pho is much less Pho Ga. I rubbed a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and thighs with EVOO and then seasoned well with the Saigon rub and grilled on the gasser. Wife and I really liked the taste of this. Served with stir fry rice and broccoli. Mixed some Hoisin, soy, and siracha together for a little finishing/dipping sauce. Everything was tasty! We will be trying this rub on other meats in the near future. Sorry, no pics of last night. It was a quick work night meal.
22" Weber
Weber Summit SS natural gas
QN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #37
CaptainQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Glen

Thank you Mike for the generous sample size. I did EVOO and 21 on skinless bone-in chicken thighs. Based on the feedback here, I put a med-heavy coat of 21 on each side then in the fridge covered in plastic wrap for 6 hours. Grilled on the gasser with a surface temp of 450ish on grill grates.

Both my wife and I loved it. We eat sushi and Asian Fusion at our favorite restaurant a couplie times a week, and I would be very happy with this flavor profile in any dish they serve. I will definitely order if it becomes available. From a volume standpoint though, this would most likely be something I use occasionally as a nice change rather than something I order in high volume.
CaptainQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #38
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

From my post earlier this week:

Awright! My sample showed up in today's mail. The smell is great. After the wet finger test I got a mild anise flavor (and broke out a jar to refresh my taste buds), and both of us could pick out coriander, the tartness of the lime, and a back heat from the jalapeno. All very balanced. I'm guessing the porcini mushrooms are there for the umami (?) and if I'm right it's a nice touch. I'm making tuna salad pita's tonight, with a lot of pickled vegetables on the side.... so that will be the first taste test beyond the calibrated wet finger.

Now that I've had a taste, the first thing that screams out to me is .... 'sausage!' and potsticker filling (which essentially is a sausage filling). So in the next day or two I'll make some beef and chicken meatballs to skewer to serve in lettuce wraps and some potstickers as a sidecar.

The Saigon 21 was wonderful in the tuna salad, and I would expect the same results in chicken salad. I finally got the ingredients together for the full test run I mentioned, and yesterday made chicken balls, beef balls, pork filling for potstickers, and seasoned rice. Everything except the dipping sauces had Saigon 21 Rub and we sampled with and without sauce. I will post a full cooks thread in Q-Talk but here is the long and short of it.....

The 1/2 pound of chicken balls had shallots, garlic and 8 grams of Saigon 21 Rub. The 1/2 pound of beef balls had green onion, garlic, red bell pepper and 8 grams of Saigon 21 Rub. The 1/4 cup of rice had 4 grams of Saigon 21 Rub. Overall impression is that we really like the new rub, but I think it also doubles as a seasoning since it was IN everything I've done so far, not ON it like a traditional rub (but using it as a rub is yet to come). Even with the number of ingredients, the flavor is balanced, and it works very well with these meats. It is definitely unique. Very satisfied overall. I'm certain the rub can be used as a sausage seasoning, but after testing with meatballs that might be better than links of sausage because they could be grilled and used in an Oriental soup or about any noodle dish or skewered on the side.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #39
CaptainQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Glen

Thank you Mike for the generous sample size. I put olive oil then a med/heavy coat of 21 on bone-in skinless chicken thighs. Sat in the fridge 6hrs wrapped in plastic wrap. Onto the gasser with grill grates at around 400 degrees.

Turned out great. My wife and I both loved it. I thought the salt was about right based on the heavyish application I used. Can't think of anything that would improve it. Was even better the second day when we shredded the leftovers and made tacos!
CaptainQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #40
retfr8flyr
Full Fledged Farker

I did wings last night with the Saigon rub and they were great. Very different taste profile but my wife and I both enjoyed them These were some of the worst wings I have ever used, very small with not a lot of meat on them, I will never get that brand again but they were still good.
Thanks Mike for your generous free gesture, I will continue to be a loyal customer. Here is a shot of them just before I took them off my Traeger.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #41
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

I'm glad those wings tasted good, Earl.

Sure looks like you ate quail wings...

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #42
jkief
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Jeffry

Got my pack in the other day with my order of usual bandits. Upon opening and taking the obligatory sniff, I was worried. The anise was quite strong, so I proceeded with the wet finger taste test. Was surprised it wasn’t salt forward and the anise wasn’t as strong as it smelled. I coated some wings and threw them on a cooling rack in the fridge for a rest. Pulled them out 7 hours later, dredged them in some flour and baking powder. I added a teaspoon or so of additional Saigon. Brought the Yoder up to 400 and cooked. After 20 minutes, sprayed with duck fat and flipped. Another 15 minutes, sprayed again and flipped. Final 15 minutes, flipped no spray. The wings were amazing. The anise is forward, but not overpowering. If I’m being completely honest, I think I could have used a smidge more salt. The amount of rub was perfect. Any more, than I think the anise would overpower everything. I think my next venture is going to be a chicken breast with a nice Asian glaze. My wife loved the wings. She said it was the best I made, but agree it needs a tad more salt for our tastebuds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1CA0E8A-8CAB-4DB4-AFBE-E31497B80F8D.jpg (57.6 KB, 71 views)

Old 04-18-2021, 07:35 PM   #43
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc

Copied from my Weekend Thread...

Mike... KCMike... this is ridiculous.

I'll be honest that I made a couple of tweaks, so bear with me.

The broth went in the pot and I added in some shaved onion that had been soaked in water for 30 minutes (IAW another recipe). I added in the Saigon 21, pretty much to your directions.

As I had broth instead of stock, I added in a couple of iced tea spoons worth of bacon grease from our jar for richness. I brought it all to a boil while I started on the noodles.

Tasted the soup and it wasn't "chicken-y" enough... so I added in 2 x iced tea spoons (yes, the same one from the bacon grease) of Chicken Better Than, Better Than Boullion to the pot. Slow boiled for about another 10 minutes. Yahtzee!

Built my daughter's bowl.
- Rice noodles
- Shredded Saigon 21 Chicken
- Chiffonaded Basil and Cilantro
- Ladled in soup to cover.

My turn.

Same as above, but with the Saigon 21 + HDD chicken with 6 slices of jalapeño.

Whole family has been crushing their bowls, and I devoured everything down to just the jalapeños in mine.

I would put this Pho up against most any in the city... and that's saying something as there are hundreds of Pho Shops in ABQ!

Killer, Mike! Thank you so much!

Old 04-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #44
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

Both cooks look awesome! I would agree with Jeffry that it needs more salt but my wife disagreed. Do with it what you think Mike!

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #45
BeardedBassGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Received my sample (and my first ever bag of Carne Crosta!) on Monday, and FINALLY was able to fire up the Weber tonight.

Did boneless skinless thighs, cut into about thirds. I did about a medium coating and let them rest about 30 minutes in the fridge.

They got the last bit of B&B lump mesquite I had and some Kingsford Pro blue bag to fill in a little more. Ran VERY hot.

We had a very simple meal of just the chicken and some par boiled rice. Didn’t realize until after I was cooking we didn’t have an veggies to throw on. I also made a honey soy glaze to drizzle lightly over it as we ate.

Impressions and thoughts: It smells INCREDIBLE. The flavors are very aromatic instead of mouth oriented, which with the new unfamiliar flavors is almost jarring. But it’s SO GOOD. Myself, my wife, my 6 yr old son and my 78 year old grandmother all think it’s fantastic.
The honey soy glaze wasn’t needed, but a tiny amount of it made everything pop in a good way.

Things I would do differently: more rub, and let it sit longer in the fridge before cooking. Maybe overnight.

Wife wants me to do shrimp next cook with it. I think she’s right, though pork belly is a close second.

Check this link for a pic.

Very thankful to be able to try this out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN070FpB...d=arpayn2cqha6