THE LONG AWAITED --> AUGUST ***SPECIAL*** "Four Ingredient MSU Challenge" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS All Month!!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Our New August SPECIAL Throwdown Category is...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Four Ingredient MSU Challenge!"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

1525743_BBQ_Grail.jpg

This was BBQGrail's entry in the 2011 "Pick the 4th Ingredient" Throwdown

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Create a dish or entree that incorporates EACH of the following, but can include other ingredients and seasonings as you see fit. Ideally, you should show proof of the use of these in your entry or a Qtalk cook thread:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Meat Protein: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Your choice of pork, beef, or chicken. Cured meats accepted.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Fruit/Peppers: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Must be fresh, not dried. Examples can include apples, tomatoes, citrus, jalapenos etc.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Liquid: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Soda, distilled spirits, or any Soy based[/FONT][FONT=&quot] sauce(showing a can of soda or a shot of whisky next to your finished entrée or dish as an accompanying beverage is not allowed)[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Cheese: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Any non-processed cheese[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. This is an open category, meaning you can cook anything you like that conforms to the category.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2. Standard Throwdown rules apply.

3. MULTIPLE ENTRIES ARE ALLOWED and encouraged for this TD!

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/30 through [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 8/30/21.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 8/30.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Just to clarify, a "processed cheese" would be something like a slice of American cheese or "Kraft singles" type cheese, and a high temp cheese like a cheddar you might use in sausage is permissible?

Just to clarify, a "processed cheese" would be something like a slice of American cheese or "Kraft singles" type cheese, and a high temp cheese like a cheddar you might use in sausage is permissible?

Correct.

Sorry to do this to you Moose but a few points of clarification if you don't mind. These may seem obvious but inquiring minds (at least mine) want to know.

1. Is there to be only one fruit or pepper included? No pepper + pepper, pepper + fruit or fruit + fruit combinations?

2. Is the liquid to be a 1 ingredient liquid? No multi ingredient marinades or brazing liquids?

3. As seasonings are not listed, are they excluded from being counted or not acceptable for the dish?

4. Can I season the meat, fruit or pepper, liquid or cheese before I include them in the final dish?

:behindsofa:

Sorry to do this to you Moose but a few points of clarification if you don't mind. These may seem obvious but inquiring minds (at least mine) want to know.

1. Is there to be only one fruit or pepper included? No pepper + pepper, pepper + fruit or fruit + fruit combinations?

2. Is the liquid to be a 1 ingredient liquid? No multi ingredient marinades or brazing liquids?

3. As seasonings are not listed, are they excluded from being counted or not acceptable for the dish?

4. Can I season the meat, fruit or pepper, liquid or cheese before I include them in the final dish?

:behindsofa:

1. Not limited to one, but at least one.

2. Not limited to a one ingredient liquid, but inclusive.

3. Seasonings are fine.

4. Yes.

The description reads: [FONT=&quot]Create a dish or entree that incorporates EACH of the following.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It does not read:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Create a dish or entree that incorporates EACH of the following and nothing else.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

1. Not limited to one, but at least one.

2. Not limited to a one ingredient liquid, but inclusive.

3. Seasonings are fine.

4. Yes.

The description reads: [FONT=&quot]Create a dish or entree that incorporates EACH of the following.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Create a dish or entree that incorporates EACH of the following and nothing else.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Thanks for that.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Thanks for answering my question before it was asked...

Now is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? J/K

Correct!

We're talking the 400° cheese that comes in 1/4" cubes?

I prefer the "high temp" cheeses, myself...

Liquid: Soda, distilled spirits, or any Soy based sauce(showing a can of soda or a shot of whisky next to your finished entrée or dish as an accompanying beverage is not allowed)

Is soda, distilled spirits, or soy based sauce examples of a liquid, or are we bound to using one or more of these choices? In other words.... can we use other liquids like milk, juice, broth or even water?

Is soda, distilled spirits, or soy based sauce examples of a liquid, or are we bound to using one or more of these choices? In other words.... can we use other liquids like milk, juice, broth or even water?
When we were discussing this TD, we decided that one or more of those must be used, but you may also choose to add any other liquid.

Back