America’s Best & Worst Cities for BBQ ~ How Do Your Picks Rate?

We’ve been to th’ “ Best in Tulsa...” ummmmm no, I beat it at home!

There’s a little hole in the wall we haven’t been to.

When we get there, I’ll report back...

Better BBQ than my own is rare to find, I’m usually disappointed by BBQ joints but like I’m insane I keep trying everyone I can.

And my BBQ probably sucks to others so I’m not saying it’s good but I make it the way I like it.

STL having nearly the most per capita sounds about right; Many are decent. We do have the best sauce, and a ~1.5lb pork steak IS superior to 1lb of cooked pulled pork..

As for New Orleans, some places do Cajun whole hog, "cochon de lait"(? or whatever) very well and have been for a long long time. I'd also put their sausages up against the best Texas hot links.

STL having nearly the most per capita sounds about right; Many are decent. We do have the best sauce, and a ~1.5lb pork steak IS superior to 1lb of cooked pulled pork..

As for New Orleans, some places do Cajun whole hog, "cochon de lait"(? or whatever) very well and have been for a long long time. I'd also put their sausages up against the best Texas hot links.

Can relate about STL. We always hit The Hill when we are there seeing Grandgirl! G&W Sausage is a mighty thing too! :thumb:

"Top and "worst" lists -of any kind- are sort of fun to read.

But that's about the extent of it.

I don't travel much- and I never buy bbq. If I eat out- it's always something that I don't do well myself (but love) or something I've never had before.

New Jersey isn't on the map for BBQ. We just don't go too far beyond the Italian influence here.

Come to my house......I do real deal smoking and grilling. :-D

TripAdvisor responds:

“Tripadvisor has no association with this BBQ study presented by Chef’s Pencil. In fact, we have concerns about the use of and presentation of Tripadvisor data within the study, inclusive of how they ranked cities and states against each other,” Brian Hoyt, Head of Global Communications and Industry Affairs for Tripadvisor, said in a statement to FOX4 News.

In tweets: 🚨Very important🚨 we did not make those wild BBQ maps.

The analysis has us... concerned. How does Texas go missing?? Worrying.

Not sure if it's the same list that made the local radio news the other day (link in OP doesn't work for me). If so, it had Fort Worth pretty low, and I'm not surprised. There are a lot of mediocre-at-best BBQ places in Fort Worth. Too many for the really good places to outweigh them in an overall ranking.

I don't even need to look to declare my area a BBQ wasteland. It just doesn't go over here at all in a restaurant setting. There is a chain BBQ restaurant here that I shall not name, and it's terrible.

That is why I work hard to make my own. :-D

Where did you eat. Best in Tulsa is 1907.

I live in the okc area; im calling bs on this list. We do have some good bbq places such as clarks, leo's and even swadleys (i know..i know but it is very consistent for a chain). I wouldnt put us that high in the entire nation.

Los Angeles has a very small handful of BBQ places I've heard are good.

But really, BBQ here sucks.

Nate, Covid prevented a SoCal bash last year but they are usually in September or October. Greg (gtr) has a big Labor Day party where he cooks a whole hog and a link in my signature takes you to his 2019 party which turned into the Brethren bash that year. I’ve been lucky enough to attend these bashes since 2016 and hope to see my friends and eat the best BBQ in SoCal this year.

Used to love visits to KC-Tony Roma’s was a newer building plus visited some other quaint places. They looked sketchy but were outstanding bbq
Dallas has cool places- Heim-Cattleack-Pecan Lodge

Our most common, though quite rare eating away

Gas Station Burritos
Sonic double with Tots
Only occasionally bbq. Heim, Pecan Lodge, Cattleack visiting DFW but usually Thai food
Home not often but perhaps 1-2 year Rudy’s, our Rudy’s is quite good

Sonic double with tots,,,,,outstanding.If I had a few too many the night before,I order it with chili,cheese and onion.Sometimes onion rings as instead of tots,not very often.

Keep in mind this list was done by a company out of Australia where they dont know what BBQ is if it slapped them in the face. Its more for entertainment.

I will also call BS.

They ranked El Paso at #12. The highest ranking of any Texas city.
I live in El Paso and I can tell you first hand that there is no way in hell that El Paso should be ranked that high. We have one really good place and several that are ok. But there many other Texas cities that are better for BBQ.

Back