Pit Boss Austin XL Pellet Cooker

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Initial thoughts

Pro’s —Walmart clearance at 250$, cooks great food with light clean smoke, you can taste the meats and seasoning, quiet auger-really quiet, typical jet engine fan noise from fan. Sturdy, heavy, nice finish, lots of room. Appears efficient on pellet consumption. I’ve used B&B Championship And currently Lumberjack Hickory. All feed, burn and the aroma is great. Nice wheels that can lock in place. Five Year Warranty

Con’s— while it’s sturdy as a rock in its roll cart, a couple of the bolt holes didn’t align. Three points and was able to secure two in one and one in another. Unless for some reason you were to lift it by the barrel opposite the pellet hopper (maybe not then) you’d never notice. So everything bolted on hopper side (cart to barrel) secured on opposite side with 2&1. There is no movement. If you’re OCD this will bother you, I’m more of a “good enough for gubmnt help, we good”. Like I said 250$ 5 year warranty and I roll not lift. Display has gone blank. However buttons and knobs still work. I had no plans on using probes provided and already had them stashed away. I prefer my Thermapen when I need to temp something. I’ve cooked Fatty, Pork Butt, Ribs, Meatloaf. Appearance And taste were great. This cooker has a slide plate on the deflector shield for direct fire cooking.

Overall, a well spent $250 for hanging 10 back into the Pellet Pool. If you are in search of “perfect” I would encourage you to read every review you can on FB, IG and Pit Boss Website. Owners of this cooker are a vocal group.

I’m pleased what I have so far with a minimal investment. No buyers remorse on my end.

I’ll contact customer service this morning about a new display.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. My copperhead 5 had the same issue. After 2 uses the screen went black but still worked fine. Contacted customer service and they promptly sent a new controller.

Thanks for the review. My copperhead 5 had the same issue. After 2 uses the screen went black but still worked fine. Contacted customer service and they promptly sent a new controller.

Same experience with customer service. They are sending new display/control panel

Same experience with customer service. They are sending new display/control panel

You might want to reach out to Pit Bosses customer service and ask is it possible for them to upgrade your replacement controller with the PIT BOSS LEGACY WIFI AND BLUETOOTH® CONNECTED CONTROL BOARD (CAT-01-PG)…

https://pitboss-grills.com/collecti...-bluetooth®-connected-control-board-cat-01-pg

It’s more up to date then the classic original Austin XL controller. Just something to consider.
I hope everything works out for you and good luck.

I believe somewhere in Florida. Bottom line I don’t know if these assembled grill deals show up online. One guy said he bought two at 200 each. Stores near me are back up to 447 while other parts of the world have large discounts.

Last edited:
You might want to reach out to Pit Bosses customer service and ask is it possible for them to upgrade your replacement controller with the PIT BOSS LEGACY WIFI AND BLUETOOTH® CONNECTED CONTROL BOARD (CAT-01-PG)…

https://pitboss-grills.com/collecti...-bluetooth®-connected-control-board-cat-01-pg

It’s more up to date then the classic original Austin XL controller. Just something to consider.
I hope everything works out for you and good luck.

I don't know what Pit Boss would charge for the upgrade (if its even plug N play) but i would suggest getting a Rec Tec Wifi PID controller. Best investment i ever got for my Pit Boss.

I believe somewhere in Florida. Bottom line I don’t know if these assembled grill deals show up online. One guy said he bought two at 200 each. Stores near me are back up to 447 while other parts of the world have large discounts.

I checked all the Walmarts in my area, they all have only the Lockhart Models with the cab above the grill. If i didn't have too many pellet smokers already, i would have bought the 2000 sq model for $750

Back