thinking ahead for Christmas cooking

Mark

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here's what I'm considering:

I'm a little bit tired of turkey but the wife & kid want another one (probably a small one). This time, I'm going for more variety.

First, I think I'll smoke a few pounds of almonds and cheese, a salmon or 2 and some habanero jelly/Tabasco glazed chicken drumsticks (sorta like big-ass hot wings).

Then the small turkey, re-smoke a cold-smoked/store-bought ham and maybe even a smoked meat loaf.

Well, Anne told me the other day she wants a deep fried turkey and something smoked -- I'll probably do a brisket since we had pulled pork this weekend.

We'll see how everything else comes together in the next week or so. :D

Damn, I was going to my sisters to eat oven ham served on plastic plates and utensils cuz shes too lazy to wash that many plates.

After reading these two posts, I just cancelled.

Gonna do some ribs and finally use David Hab Jelly, then I forgot until reading Davids post that I got one of those trimmed 5# Costco briskets in the freezer. Got an 8# pork loin, I'll cut that in half and do those, and maybe a pork butt.

Freeze one loin and the pork but for early January.

The ribs sound good -- I asked the wife if she wanted ribs for Christmas and she said she'd prefer something else (loves ribs! just not for Christmas :D) hence the brisket and turkey. I've already got a 10 pound turkey for frying and will pick up a brisket flat next week.

I don't know how much extended family we'll be seeing on Christmas -- if we get together with my wife's brother and his family we'll probably add Honey Baked ham to the list :D

I'm taking pulled pork and brisket to the office party tomorrow so after a dry spell of not much cooking I'm hitting a primo period of oak smoke in the air!! :D

I hadn't thought about it much, since I've been living at work, but some ribs and leg quarters sound pretty darn good! Hope the weather holds out!

Solidkick said:
I hadn't thought about it much, since I've been living at work, but some ribs and leg quarters sound pretty darn good! Hope the weather holds out!
Central MO for Dec 24:

Chance of showers. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 30s.

Not totally crappy

Would a rack of lamb be appropriate?

Would a rack of lamb be appropriate?
I would imagine it would be.

I am stilling trying to figure out my menu. I will probably have to be in St. Louis until Wed. night before Christmas. Was going to do a couple of turkey BOOBIES and maybe a ham. Can't do the BOOBIES, no time to thaw and brine. I may have to dissapoint myself and do an oven Christmas dinner. I do however have a duck in the freezer that I may have to pop in the oven along with a tit or a ham. Damn, I can't wait until after the first of the year, and get some of my time back.

Back