• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Texas Style food

Hayduke

Reaction score
Those of you who have cooked Texas style on their food truck or for catering how has it worked for you outside of Texas?

I am currently trying out recipes for catering and a food truck and Texas style is as good as the stuff I am coming up with.

What specifically are you calling "Texas-style"? Are you talking Texas- style bbq, tex-mex or seafood?

There a huge variety of Texas-style food, try to be more specific.

What specifically are you calling "Texas-style"? Are you talking Texas- style bbq, tex-mex or seafood?

Salt. Pepper and Garlic for brisket and pork butt. Also have you tried selling beef ribs seasoned the same way?

My bbq isn't regional specific. I really got started in bbq doing competitions, where the focus is winning not a region of bbq. I focus ou n 100% wood fire cooking, since many like to use gas, and premium meats, local when it makes sense. My brisket is heavily influenced by Texas, and gets great reviews from southerners and Texans, past and present. But I use a lot more than salt, pepper and garlic. I think if got good behind the scene info most placed in Texas are using more than that in their rubs too. As far as outside of Texas, good bbq is going to sell. Unfortunately so will bad bbq, example Famous Dave's. I don't think any bbq style sells any better than the others outside of those regions. Texas is really trending right now tho. If you're calling it texas- style bbq, just make sure it is., seems like that's what you're working on. Good luck!

My bbq isn't regional specific. I really got started in bbq doing competitions, where the focus is winning not a region of bbq. I focus ou n 100% wood fire cooking, since many like to use gas, and premium meats, local when it makes sense. My brisket is heavily influenced by Texas, and gets great reviews from southerners and Texans, past and present. But I use a lot more than salt, pepper and garlic. I think if got good behind the scene info most placed in Texas are using more than that in their rubs too. As far as outside of Texas, good bbq is going to sell. Unfortunately so will bad bbq, example Famous Dave's. I don't think any bbq style sells any better than the others outside of those regions. Texas is really trending right now tho. If you're calling it texas- style bbq, just make sure it is., seems like that's what you're working on. Good luck!

I have a competition team and the food is extremely good just WAY too expensive. When I am at home I use Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and paprika on nearly everything. I am leaning "Texas Style' but I also wanna do my own thing. Adulting is hard.
You are right. There are a few BBQ joints here that are not that good and they are packed!

I toned things down from the comp-style cooking a little bit, so flavors aren't over the top. But it's similar. I don't use commercial rubs like with comp bbq, but my homemade rubs are very similar. I don't do nearly the trimming or glazing like with comp bbq. In the end good bbq will sell, and when we're outside of bbq-region, you can have s little more freedom with flavors and styles. I try to stay away from novelty bbq like nachos and that.

Back