Form a Non-profit or no

ruger35

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Got the idea to honor my grandpa while he's still around. He and my uncle used to own/run a couple of bakeries and we still go down to his house to bake and make doughnuts all the time. Uncle died of brain cancer quite a few years ago.

I am wanting to start smoking/cooking food around the holidays, mainly Thanksgiving and Christmas and donating to families in need. I would be willing to accept donations from the public, whether food (turkeys, hams) or monetary donations used to purchase food. Should I form a non-profit and incorporate to do this, or is it not worth the money to do that only 3-4 times a year?

Was hoping someone else may have had this situation and could shed some light. BTW I live in Louisiana, which I am pretty sure has some rather lax food safety laws with all of the rigs i have seen growing up and how we constantly do fundraisers with jambalaya pots.

Why not just team up with an established charity, church or homeless shelter? They would already have the facility, licensing and paperwork setup, you offer your services in what way you see fit.

Back