The hard part about being in this business.

Pyle's BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well it finally happened. I had to fire an employee due to theft. This is the one thing I hate about this job.

The "Story" was that a customer had left.a $100 tip in the form of a $100 bill for the two people working that night. The two staff made change and split the money. I open the next morning and as I'm reviewing the cash sheet from the night before, I am missing 1 of 2 $100 bills that should be in the drawer. I look around to see if I can find it. No luck there. I text the person that was in charge and counted the drawer the night before and asked about it. They said that there should have been 2 bills in the drawer. I inform both employees that there is $100.missing and they are responsible for it if it is not found. The owner and I go over the register tape from that night and don't find anything. Luckily we have a camera pointed at the register. She reviews the video at close to see if something happened there. Nothing shows up. Though she didn't want to she started.looking at other transactions according to the time stamp on the register tape. This is where she notices that one of the staff take something out of the drawer and put it their pocket. There is also a camera in the kitchen that show this same employee take what was in their pocket and show the other employee. This is where the story springs up that a $100 tip was left for them to split. The second employee has no idea that the money came out of the drawer.

The owner and I confront the employee about what went on that night. They tried to continue with the lie. We stop him and ask if he really wants to continue that way. I fell him we have looked at the video and it shows what he did. He then confesses and fries to tell us he didn't mean to do it. I stop him again and correct him that yes he did mean to do it. Then he tries to blame problems at home for some reason. I did advise him that making more problems is not a way to deal with whatever is going on.

The owner and I came up with this plan since he is just in high school and we live in a small town (pop. 2500). We didn't call the police as long as he did these three things
1) He has to pay back the $100
2) Tell his parents
3) Have his parents call the owner so she can explain what happened.

So that was my week how are things going for everyone else?

I'm guessing this is a kid based on the requirement for involving the parents. If so - hopefully this will be a formative learning experience. It's a shame for him to have done that in the first place, but hopefully he'll learn his lesson. You handled it the best way possible IMO - quickly, firmly, thoroughly, and decisively. I'm sure most of us have done stupid chit as young 'uns, I know I did, and I feel fortunate that there were folks around to correct me when necessary.

I do not envy you small businessmen who have to worry about these sorts of things - it's hard enough as it is!

Sad. I hated that part of the business. And sounds like he's young, making stupid mistakes. Makes everyone's day worse.

I hope you guys consulted an attorney before you let this person go.

I can't say that the owner did. I didn't. Iowa is an at will state. I could have just fired him, but that would have not been good for anyone involved.

Firing someone is like a car wreck. Once the cars separate and parties go their separate ways, the story always changes. What is painfully obvious to the naked eye isn't always so.

Firing someone is like a car wreck. Once the cars separate and parties go their separate ways, the story always changes. What is painfully obvious to the naked eye isn't always so.

The surveillance cameras say otherwise.

Pat, I think the obvious thing that he wants to point out is that this kid needs help. Hopefully his parents will see that too and get him the help he needs.

I think your response was more than fair. You had every right to involve the police but you gave the guy a chance. I hope he understands what a break he got and will think twice before trying the easy money routine.

We had to take polygraph tests at my first job both when stealing was suspected and periodically. I'm the only one of my friends that passed and kept his job. I had no idea they were stealing, It's just something we were brought up not to do.

You handled the situation well IMO.

You handled it right on your end. Eventually, if the kid straightens up he will see the value in the lesson you attempted to teach him. I share your sentiment....no unfortunate situation outside of work was ever made better by quitting your job and getting fired. I've been broke in my life when I first started out...it taught me a lot. Now I run multi-million dollar companies and remember those lessons quite often when I'm walking around the plants and sitting in break rooms sharing a cup of coffee with a young 20 something just starting out. I have shared your experience in having to address these types of workplace issues. Your a good leader of men with this approach...its fair and holds him accountable. Most of those guys straighten out down the road....the lesson you taught him might be exactly the catalyst he needed to "get right" with life. Nice work...

Back