Talk me out of a LSG 20x42

Just for reference because I know exactly what you're thinking.

I just got the email confirmation 6 days ago that fabrication has begun on mine. I placed the order on December 28. One thing to consider is they were set back for 1-2 weeks during the ice storm. You should have the email from them in roughly 12-14 weeks followed by a 2-3 week fabrication, followed by 10 biz days to crate and freight. Which is roughly 18 weeks from order. Assuming you'll have delivery in August.

During the time I watched as many videos as I can on this unit specifically around fire management and maintenance.

Curious, what options did you go with if any?

• Thanks
Reactions: MQ2
I have had the 20x42 for two years and really like the way it cooks and has more than enough space to meets my needs for a smoker.
These were the add-ons I ordered with mine and recommend the Pull handle, Automatic temperature control device fan port/Guru Port and 8'' Wheel upgrade which you can add to your order.
I hit the sweet spot with about 6 weeks between order and delivery but it looks like that is about double the time now.
I am still considering the Fire Management Basket but have not jump on it yet. I considered the 1/2 fire grate but decided against it. I do find that using smaller splits makes it easier to manage a more consistent temperature.
Chris and crew are great to work with and they have top notch customer service. Good luck and enjoy.

Just for reference because I know exactly what you're thinking.

I just got the email confirmation 6 days ago that fabrication has begun on mine. I placed the order on December 28. One thing to consider is they were set back for 1-2 weeks during the ice storm. You should have the email from them in roughly 12-14 weeks followed by a 2-3 week fabrication, followed by 10 biz days to crate and freight. Which is roughly 18 weeks from order. Assuming you'll have delivery in August.

During the time I watched as many videos as I can on this unit specifically around fire management and maintenance.

Curious, what options did you go with if any?

Pull handle, main chamber grill grate, fire management basket.

Great pics and this is one of the features that convinced me to go with them. What size pit did you end up getting? Any recommendations for accessories/upgrades?

I've got the 20x42. For upgrades I definitely recommend the gas assist and the fire management basket. Those are must haves in my book. The clean out drain valve on the bottom is nice as well. Skip the second probe port on the side. The one that comes with it reaches the top and bottom fine. Oh the cover is very nice as well if you are keeping it outside. It's expensive but extremely well made and looks like it will last for many years.

Handle might be nice if you are moving it a bunch. I actually recommend not getting the upgraded wheels unless you need them. They lift the smoker another 1.5" and I noticed the weight of the door more with the 8" wheels vs the 5". Admittedly I don't have a great back so for most this probably isn't something to worry about.

Not sure if I'd get the ash pan. It's dead easy to clean out ashes with a little brush. The 1/2" fire grate is super heavy and have seen several people on youtube comment on it being a bit of a pain.

Whatever options you end up with you will love cooking on this beast!

• Thanks
Well no on was successful in talking me out of the LSG 20x42, or into something else. Smoker is officially ordered.

Congrats!!!

You going to pick it up? I ran down to Willis with a small 1 axle trailer and Chris' guys spent probably 20 minutes loading and tieing it down for me. Great bunch of people all the way around. Plan on 3 guys to get it off trailer and located. Or two big ole TX size guys can do the job as well.

• Thanks
I've got the 20x42. For upgrades I definitely recommend the gas assist and the fire management basket. Those are must haves in my book. The clean out drain valve on the bottom is nice as well. Skip the second probe port on the side. The one that comes with it reaches the top and bottom fine. Oh the cover is very nice as well if you are keeping it outside. It's expensive but extremely well made and looks like it will last for many years.

Handle might be nice if you are moving it a bunch. I actually recommend not getting the upgraded wheels unless you need them. They lift the smoker another 1.5" and I noticed the weight of the door more with the 8" wheels vs the 5". Admittedly I don't have a great back so for most this probably isn't something to worry about.

Not sure if I'd get the ash pan. It's dead easy to clean out ashes with a little brush. The 1/2" fire grate is super heavy and have seen several people on youtube comment on it being a bit of a pain.

Whatever options you end up with you will love cooking on this beast!

Actually removed the pull handle option, and may add the log starter but my propane torch works just fine for now.

Congrats!!!

You going to pick it up? I ran down to Willis with a small 1 axle trailer and Chris' guys spent probably 20 minutes loading and tieing it down for me. Great bunch of people all the way around. Plan on 3 guys to get it off trailer and located. Or two big ole TX size guys can do the job as well.

I haven’t made up my mind but I may just save the time and have it shipped. However I would love to go over to really check the place out and meet the people.

I have a 20x36.

Options I have:

Pull Handle (I move my pit to use it. Must have for me)
Gas assist. (in 2+ years I have yet to use it. I start the pit with a large chimney of Lump.)
1/2" fire grate (this is very nice but heavy)
Ash pan (I like having this but it is definitely not a necessity)
Probe ports (I have both but you could absolutely survive with one)
Fan port (I did not request this but somehow its there, I'll never use it)
Custom cover (its still in the box and my pit lives outside. Wish I would have kept the money. I simply wipe the pit down with a water/oil mixture every so often)
Fire management basket (this wasn't available when I bought my pit. It is 100% a must have and should really come standard IMO. Makes the pit predictable and ridiculously easy to run)
Ball valve (I bought this separately after I got the pit. Its very handy.)
Charcoal "S" basket (I have yet to use it. Probably should have waited till I found myself needing it to buy it)

I also have a stainless shelf but I had this made as I thought what LSG was charging was too rich. My shelf is also larger than the one LSG offers.
can be seen here

I spread things around on my cookers so my LSG doesn't see a ton of use but it does get used. It is an awesome pit and a pleasure to run. It still brings a smile to my face when I look at it sitting in the backyard. They make really nice stuff. You won't be disappointed.

My advice on options.... Get anything you think you may want now that can't be added later.(i.e. pull handle, ports)
If it can be added later wait and see if you really need it. I would have saved myself a decent amount of money had I done this.

Last edited:
I have a 20x36.

Options I have:

Pull Handle (I move my pit to use it. Must have for me)
Gas assist. (in 2+ years I have yet to use it. I start the pit with a large chimney of Lump.)
1/2" fire grate (this is very nice but heavy)
Ash pan (I like having this but it is definitely not a necessity)
Probe ports (I have both but you could absolutely survive with one)
Fan port (I did not request this but somehow its there, I'll never use it)
Custom cover (its still in the box and my pit lives outside. Wish I would have kept the money. I simply wipe the pit down with a water/oil mixture every so often)
Fire management basket (this wasn't available when I bought my pit. It is 100% a must have and should really come standard IMO. Makes the pit predictable and ridiculously easy to run)
Ball valve (I bought this separately after I got the pit. Its very handy.)
Charcoal "S" basket (I have yet to use it. Probably should have waited till I found myself needing it to buy it)

I also have a stainless shelf but I had this made as I thought what LSG was charging was too rich. My shelf is also larger than the one LSG offers.
can be seen here

I spread things around on my cookers so my LSG doesn't see a ton of use but it does get used. It is an awesome pit and a pleasure to run. It still brings a smile to my face when I look at it sitting in the backyard. They make really nice stuff. You won't be disappointed.

My advice on options.... Get anything you think you may want now that can't be added later.(i.e. pull handle, ports)
If it can be added later wait and see if you really need it. I would have saved myself a decent amount of money had I done this.

Great info. The only thing I’m really torn on is the pull handle. I would like for it to Be on the main chamber vs the stack but LSG seems reluctant to put it there. I will be moving it to cook but only a few feet from my shop to outside.

Love the idea of the S basket but will build my own from material i already have. That way i can use it in both of my smokers. Plus i don't think I'll use it much anyway.

Back