KC Pilgrimage

SmokingHotNurse

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Planning on a July pilgrimage to Kansas City, and just wondering what are the iconic Que spots I need to hit. Any advice?

So there's "iconic" and there are "the best showcase of KC's BBQ", sometimes those two things intersect but not always.

I really like Q39, SLAP's, Jack Stack (closer to the "traditional" end of the KC spectrum), Char Bar, and Joe's KC. Char Bar has a nice outdoor area with a bar, yard games, and dining seating...might be a good place to make an evening of. Gates and Arthur Bryant's are some of the more prominent "old school" KC 'que joints, of those two I prefer the latter. Zarda's, and Smokehouse are pretty good. LC's is another place that is probably considered "iconic" as far as KC barbecue is concerned, I believe I read that the owner/founder recently passed away. Woodyard BBQ is pretty good, as the name suggests, they sell wood there in the parking lot area next to the restaurant. Harp BBQ has gotten a lot of attention recently, although I've not had it...I think it's a "Saturdays" and or "popup" kind of thing. He operates out of Crane Brewery on Saturdays until sell out, and their beer is pretty good too.

There's a lot of good places to have barbecue here, I certainly haven't listed them all. Just kind of depends where you're staying and how long you'll be here.

Last edited:
Danny Edwards on Southwest Boulevard
Burnt End BBQ in Overland Park
Porkys Blazin BBQ on the east edge of the metro
Plowboys BBQ, either downtown or in Blue Springs on the way to Porky’s
Smoking’ Guns just north of downtown (of the “Smokin’ Guns Hot barbecue seasoning fame)

:becky:

Back