Whats a Good Rub

patriotn11

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello ALL,

I'm going to throw a big BBQ party for my wife's birthday this weekend. I would like any and all info on a good rub. I tried the Grub Rub at Academy and even made my own spice Rub. I want to try something new and want any opinions on your all's favorite Rubs.
icon_mrgreen.gif
I am going to buy 2 briskets, baby back and sausage for the Q. Basically I'll rub it all, and after the Q, well I might even rub her :icon_devil ,lol Be nice all,
angryfire.gif

Any hoot, your humble help is well appreciated, on the BBQ of course,
angryfire.gif

Michael

Contact Obie-cue in Lancaster, Tx. ot Texas Rib Ranger, two of the best. Steve.

Check out Brethren Ventures in the forum section. Several of our own brothers make rubs for sale. For Beef I suggest Plowboys Bovine Bold; BigBrotherSmoke's Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicey Rub and Todd's Dirt. TD is my go to seasoning for just about anything.

Yup a huge fan of Todd's Dirt. Love it on beef and eggs. For pork I do a modified Mike Mills Magic Dust.

the best rub is the rub you like best and that works with your cooking style. while you can buy any number of good rubs, buy one of the bbq books that talks about building you own rub. i'm partial to this one by paul kirk

kirkbook.jpg

the best rub is the rub you like best and that works with your cooking style. while you can buy any number of good rubs, buy one of the bbq books that talks about building you own rub. i'm partial to this one by paul kirk

kirkbook.jpg

great little pocket book

Here is a beef rub that is awesome. I smoked two whole chuck rolls each cut into quarters and trimmed, then oiled lightly and rubbed with this recipe. I took each hunk up to 200F and today it all pulled "like buttah" and the taste and color were awesome, way the best I've ever done.

Big Bad Beef Rub

6 salt
6 sugar
6 coarsely ground black pepper
3 onion powder, run through screen-type strainer
2 ancho chili powder
2 dried mustard
2 garlic powder
1 chipotle powder

===============

Beef rub is different than pork rub. Pork loves sweetness, but beef does not. The best rib rubs have sugar in them, like Meathead's Magic Dust. In addition, a brisket rub needs to be more aggressive than a rib rub because the meat is much thicker.

You can make this recipe days or weeks in advance. Using a teaspoon as the measure makes more than you need for even a large brisket, so you can just put it in a jar or zipper bag for the next brisket.

Same recipe, scaled for 50 pounds of beef:

for 8 large roasts (50#), double the above: (6X original recipe)
3/4 cup
salt
sugar
ground black pepper
six tablespoons onion powder, sifted through screen-type strainer
1/4 cup
ancho chili powder
dried mustard
garlic powder
2 tablespoons chipotle powder

seattlepitboss

Google Mike Mills Magic Dust rub recipe. I use that for every thing but beef. It is good on beef also, I just like "Slabs Wow up your cow" better.

Thanks

Thanks, All

I will look into all your suggestions and thanks to your humble help, that's what makes this forum the best. :biggrin:

Michael in San Antonio, Texas :mrgreen:

Back