First bbq competition

Shadow160

Reaction score
Me and a couple of friend joined our first competition this past weekend in Apopka florida. Well we got our behinds handed to us LOL. Kind of expected it but it was a good learning experience. I was very surprised to see the number of pellet smokers at the event seemed like the majority of the teams had one. Some of them exclusively pellet grills.

Awesome! Sounds like you had a good time this weekend.

Yes there are smokers of all types at competitions. It really comes down to personal preference. You can cook championship Q on nearly any type of smoker.

Welcome to the madness. I've had a few humbling events but keep going back. Lots of fun. Hope you'll find the same.

We are already working on what to change for the next time. One of the things we were not prepared for was the Florida bbq association judges like super sweet. But live and learn.

Congrats on your first event. We (that compete) have all been there and it is absolutely a learning process. I've heard the same thing about Florida preferring sweet BBQ, so good luck finding your "sweet spot".

So many comps are still being cancelled everywhere this year I sure hope maybe 2022 will be better.

Be careful, it can suck you in. We were in Apopka also, our 3rd year there, it's a great contest. If you want to improve quickly look at Swamp Boys BBQ class, made a huge difference for us. Good luck.

Congrats , welcome to BBQ comp world. We were there as well Keepin it Smokin BBQ

We took 9th chicken and 1st place ribs !!

Back