My 2nd cook on the P&S...

cssnms

Found some matches.
Reaction score
And my 1st brisket ever...

I learned a few things to include I cant predict just how long it will take to cook a brisket. :cool:

Started with a 14lb+ Prime Costco brisket.

Rubbed it down with cracked pepper, Kosher salt and smoked paprika.

She smoked for about 5 hrs between 240 and 250 degrees.

Wrapped in butcher paper at around 175 degrees and it took another 4 hrs at 300 degrees and pulled it off at around 195 degrees.

It came out very moist, the fat rendered great, it was like butter, it also had nice bark and easily pulled apart across most cross sections. There were a couple of areas of the thinnest part of the flat that required more effort to pull apart. More importantly everyone loved it and far better than we ever had at our local Red Hot and Blue.

In retrospect I would go a little lighter on the rub, the salt and pepper was a tad overwhelming. Also, I would have let it stay on the grill for another +/-5 degrees as I think that would have helped to break down the connective tissue better in some of the thinner section mentioned above. I also would've let it rest more than an hour. But it was getting way late and everyone was crying of hunger.

All-in-all very happy with my first brisket.

Up next, pulled pork!

Attachments

• 20210412_211142.jpg
    20210412_211142.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210412_211728.jpg
    20210412_211728.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 20210412_211735.jpg
    20210412_211735.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 217
Very nice! Not just for a first but for any brisket. Interesting to see your next one after the tweaks you mentioned. Briskets are like snowflakes. They are all just a little different. That's what makes them so challenging yet rewarding when you nail them.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Very nice!! Which P&S cooker ya cooking on?

Thanks!

Maverick 850

So far so good and it helps she's easy on the eyes. :icon_blush:

I feel like I'm cheating with a pellet cooker and I know they don't get the same respect as a stick burner but I am really loving the simplicity of the system.

Thank you all, I was nervous about what to expect but I'm encouraged by the results thus far. I have a lot to learn but I feel like I'm picking up some good practical experience and I'm learning from it.

Looks great from here!

I hear you on the timing. My family seems to think I can magically make BBQ finish at a set time, so I now start large proteins very early & hold. Better food + less stress = happy cook.

Looks great to me. It seems that when I bump the heat up, my done temps are higher than at lower cooking temps. I guess that's the trade off for hurrying it. Probably be closer to 205. But more importantly is probing with a thermometer to make sure you are there. You are well on your way it looks to me like.

Chris, That Brisket looks great!!!
It's a piece of meat that can be a challenge at times, but well worth the effort when it comes out like that!!

Really nice looking brisket. Can't tell it was your first. Happy cooking

Back