• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Talk me out of a LSG 20x42

MQ2

Reaction score
I got the green light to purchase. Already have an OC smokehouse and 2 Weber Kettles, but that lsg would just make things so much better... Right

Dive in the Deep End and get a Shirley.You asked.

Edit to add.....I do not know what a LSG is.

Do not buy the LSG 20x42 unless you really want one. Sorry to come on so strong but someone had to talk some sense into you!

I got the green light to purchase. Already have an OC smokehouse and 2 Weber Kettles, but that lsg would just make things so much better... Right

Don't buy it... make the leap to the 24x40 offset like I did. :clap2: Both are great pits and not much different overall.

I picked up a used that was in good shape and it cools great. I say go for it if you can stand the wait.

At one point I was pretty much settled on the LSG you are talking about. Then some people here muddied the waters for me by mentioning the Workhorse 1969. I still haven't pulled any triggers, but they are both nice cookers

I think you have come to the wrong place to be talked out of smoker expenditures lol.

Do you have the money to pay for it in cash and you have the rest of your finances in order? If so, I can’t and I won’t try to bring myself to try to talk you out of it... unless you were considering another builder and wanted our input on picking. If that’s that case, maybe I could try talking you out of it, but it’s going to depend on your other options, as the LSG 20x42 seems like a dang nice cooker and I kinda want one too!

Have the money. All else is in order and will be paying cash for the cooker. Also considering the Shirley in about the same size. But I like the fact that I can use the griddle and firebox grill on the LSG. I feel like I get more flexibility with it over other cookers in the same size class range.

I guess I should have said talk me out of the LSG and into something else. Lol

Lsg makes good cookers no doubt. Just depends on what you are looking for? I agree on the versatility to grill or griddle over the firebox..I like that a lot. 20x42 isn’t that big but it is tall. I think the firebox is really small but that’s just my own personal opinion. Lots of people obviously like them.

I wanted a more traditional Texas type offset with lots of convection and the ability to reverse sear over the firebox so I ordered a workhorse 1975. Shirleys are great but I didn’t want to wait that long for one of theirs with a warmer and direct grilling access over the firebox. Good luck whichever way you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have the money. All else is in order and will be paying cash for the cooker. Also considering the Shirley in about the same size. But I like the fact that I can use the griddle and firebox grill on the LSG. I feel like I get more flexibility with it over other cookers in the same size class range.

I was of roughly the same mindset as you between Shirley and LSG. I chose LSG for the firebox side cooking ability. I love addl options it gives and have used it more than I thought I would. Here's a few shots in action:

baF7MoN.jpg

jdS6JZU.jpg

evZZApy.jpg

R6Ybyk2.jpg

KM37ri4.jpg

RQb3emu.jpg

igVNeQN.jpg

I was of roughly the same mindset as you between Shirley and LSG. I chose LSG for the firebox side cooking ability. I love addl options it gives and have used it more than I thought I would. Here's a few shots in action:

baF7MoN.jpg

jdS6JZU.jpg

evZZApy.jpg

R6Ybyk2.jpg

KM37ri4.jpg

RQb3emu.jpg

igVNeQN.jpg

Great pics and this is one of the features that convinced me to go with them. What size pit did you end up getting? Any recommendations for accessories/upgrades?

I’m sure the workhorse pits are great but they just don’t speak to me like the LSG does. I really like the Shirley but I just don’t think it’s really much different than my OC smokehouse vertical. And for the 2-3 times a year that I do a big family cook I can just run the OC smokehouse and the LSG. Brisket and Butts in the smokehouse and Ribs and candy bacon on the LSG! Yep sounds about right.

Back