Wine Barrel Oak

10_Bears

Just wondering if anyone has used the oak from a wine barrel to smoke with. I imagine having all the flavours and aromas from the wine infused in the oak would make for a nice choice.

As you may or may not be aware I am in the process (slowly unfortunately) of building my first UDS and was wondering how the wine stained oak would go mixed in with briquettes.

I don't think you will get much flavor from the wine that was stored in the barrels, It does make great smoking wood.

The blocks of white oak included with the Jack Daniel's briquettes make nice smoke, but don't impart any of the liquor flavor... not that I can tell at least.
I can say I'm not impressed with the charcoal.

DSC04700.jpg

You mean splits like this? I have a special stash from a trade with a fellow Brethren that I only use on pork loin and lamb.​

The oak is the up-front flavor, and the wine flavor smooths it out. It's very obvious when you sniff the vent on your cooker, and the flavor on the meat is delicate.....​

DSC09842a.jpg

great stuff no matter what. i have a small stash and use it sparingly. if you can get it then yer a lucky guy.

DSC04700.jpg

You mean splits like this? I have a special stash from a trade with a fellow Brethren that I only use on pork loin and lamb.​

The oak is the up-front flavor, and the wine flavor smooths it out. It's very obvious when you sniff the vent on your cooker, and the flavor on the meat is delicate.....​

DSC09842a.jpg

OK, so now I'm jealous! :laugh:

I buy wine barrels when I can find them cheap and chunk them up. There are a chit ton of Micro Vintners around here. They usually get used 2 or 3 times before they get decommisioned. There is one guy I bought some from almost cried when I told him I was going to burn them, now I noticed he's selling bags of chips and chunks for $30 on CL! Not much Oak in my area. New barrels cost @ $600!

French Oak that contained Cabernet Sauvignon

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

Left side - Missouri Oak that held a Cab and a French Oak that held a local Syrah on the Right (used one time)

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4037.jpg

The only time I could really smell and taste any Wine flavor was a Prime Rib cook done with chunks in my Cookshack Smokette.
Like thirdeye said, the Oak smoke is up front and I sometimes mix it with fruit woods. I've got a lousy sense of smell and absolutely no taste!

Send greenleafbbq a pm and ask him. he sells the stuff in his store from old wine barrels.

Just wondering if anyone has used the oak from a wine barrel to smoke with. I imagine having all the flavours and aromas from the wine infused in the oak would make for a nice choice.

As you may or may not be aware I am in the process (slowly unfortunately) of building my first UDS and was wondering how the wine stained oak would go mixed in with briquettes.

Thanks for the input, will definitley give it a go once my UDS is up and going, very soon hopefully.

I have some cheese aging that was smoked with wine barrel dust. You could smell the wine in the smoke, will find out soon if it makes it to the cheese.

I put a grill in one of my old barrels. Love the smell that comes out. The wine doesn't do anything for the flavor in my opinion. If there is a market I may start chipping up my old barrels though :idea:

Back