• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Great opportunity...I think. Need your thoughts

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am friends with a small restaurant owner. He knows I want to open my own bbq restaurant. We were talking the other day and he told me that he would be willing to let me set up a space at his restaurant, use his kitchen for prep, and I could bring my smoker there and cook and sell my bbq in his restaurant. He said he would put it on his menu with my business name. He would buy from me at a profit and then sell there at a profit. Win-win. I can also use his kitchen fir any catering I get. He said he was willing to let me set up and do this for as long as I needed until I was ready to get a B&M place of my own. He would then help me find a place and help me learn as I go. His only stop was that I dont open within a mile of his place. He said this would help me build a following and a business and that when I got my own place I would have ready customers who already know me and my food.

What say you guys? Thoughts? Keep in mind I can order meats through him and store it in his coolers as well as use his kitchen for prep for catering, etc.

Sounds like a good plan, but do the numbers and logistics work? Since it's a friend, I would just make sure you're both completely aligned on expectations. I would love access to a commercial kitchen, but am not sure about the legal/permit aspects of this type of situation. Are you covered under his insurance or do you need your own...etc.? Good luck with everything and Go Tigers!

To me, this works great if this guy is a good friend. Otherwise someone could take advantage of you. If I were to do it though I'd have to have an up front deal with y friend that if at any time it wasn't working for either of us then we scratch it before we damage our friendship. Good Luck!

Friends are friends and business is business... Get whatever agreements you both are making in writing signed by both parties. (dont skip this or blow it off, its protection for the both of you)
Sounds like a great way to get started though.
Good luck.

1. Will your friends Health Department license be extended to you and your activities? Including any employee training or ServSafe requirements. And since this new part of the restaurant operation (running a smoker outside the buildiing) has not been inspected, will this require another inspection?

2. Have you checked with the Fire Department regarding zoning and potential air quality questions.

I know a guy that ran two small restaurants in two separate bars that happened to be in two adjacent towns.... but about 4 miles from each other. One town allowed him to operate his trailer mounted smoker in the parking area, provided he used a service entrance to transport food back and forth to the kitchen, and he had a business licence and permit from the Health Department. The other town did give him a permit from the Health Department to operate the kitchen, but would not allow a smoker to be used on-site and wanted a detailed plan on how the barbecue (or any other food prepared at the other location) would be cooked, held and transported to the satellite location. I guess like a caterer would have to have.

Back