• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ice

Can ice used for cooling food be used as an ingredient?

• Yes

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • I haven't a clue

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

bbqjoe

Is it okay for iced used in cooling food to be used as an ingredient in food or drink?

The answer is no.
ICE: Should always be treated as food, it may become contaminated.
· Ice used for food must be made from drinking water and ice used for chilling should never be used as an ingredient
· Use clean and sanitized container and ice scoop (food grade plastic or medal). Store ice scoops outside the ice machine in a clean and sanitary place (never store ice scoop in ice bin).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to knit pick, but if the ice was in the bag and used for cooling, then why couldn't you then open the bag and use the ice for drinks?

I assume the question was supposed to be referring to loose ice.

Joe--"Oldziemer's Mod" here :redface:

Are we talking about ice used "twice"? For example--first in a cooler to chill brewskies, then as part of a "Slurpy" in the blender?

Or, is it OK to substitute clean ice for equivilent water when cooking--maybe to chill product faster? I do this for hot tea all the time. I add ice instead of water to help make it "Iced Tea".

Also--Most ice machines have the holder inside for the biggo ice scoop. Seems to me that it would stay cleaner if stored inside rather than outside in the dust.

Probably missing stuff here. But great topic and I "wanna get it right" :lol:

Thanks,

TIM

The idea here is that ice is to be treated as food. You wouldn't store raw chicken mixed in, or in contact with cooked hamburgers.
Same thing for ice. You don't want to use that ice you had in the cooler keeping raw meat cold and then use it in a cocktail.

Who really knows what's on the outside of a can? The chicken probably didn't bleed on the ice. These are just saftey precautions.

Nothing wrong with using clean ice at all.

Hope this helped.

Back