Thank you for the add!

farmgirl

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Cheers all!

I am a new BBQer and just purchased a Country Smoker traveler. I have a tiny Casita trailer and a Ridgeline truck, and the smoker travels with us. I also have two farm collies that are my constant companions and BBQ taste testers and office clean up crew.

I am a (kind of recent) widow of a military man, and he used to do all the BBQ, and he also was GREAT with our wood fired oven. We lived in Italy for two tours and learned how to make Italian pizza by working at a local pizzeria on weekends. It was one of the highlights of our cooking together!

One of my tasks is to start barbecuing again and having friends over. My church congregation (small bunch of farmers and ranchers) is coming over in July, and I am doing the cooking, so I am very motivated to get started right and practice before I have to serve a small crowd of 30-40.

I am considering getting a larger smoker, was thinking Traeger or Country Smoker. Want a pellet smoker as I am tired of the electric smokers only smoking for a few minutes of the cooking. After reading the site here, I see that both brands are recognized (good), and that either choice would probably be okay. The Country Smoker is just a little small for what I am used to, so I need to figure out what the best additional smoker is for me right now.

I accept any and all advice, and appreciate your patience with me.

farmgirl

Attachments

• IMG_9355.jpeg
    IMG_9355.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 47
I am so sorry for your Loss
The Pizza gig would have been awesome

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Mostly a friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome Michelle, and thanks for your husband's (and your) service. Good luck tackling a job for that many people, when you are doing all the cooking, 30-40 doesn't seem like a small crowd. There are a lot of great folks here and I'm sure they'll be happy to share their knowledge as you learn (and spend) and learn (and spend some more). You will find that we love to spend each other's money around here.
For that many people, I would go with something foolproof and that you probably already have the capacity for with your present cooker, and that's just good old Boston butts and do pulled pork. You could even find a good sauce recipe among the thousands online these days, and impress your guests with the tasty condiment as well.
Good luck and be sure to post any questions you may have.

Thank you both for the warm welcome. I look forward to being part of the forums here, even if you do spend all my money, LOL. it would be worse if I wasn't looking to buy a larger smoker soon! Yes, the pizza gig was AMAZING. I have a wood fired oven that I keep pretty busy with pizza, casseroles, pies, breads, etc. I don't cook inside during the summer if I can use the outside oven.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Michelle

Welocme, Michelle! You've come to the right place.

I dragged my wife all over the world for many years, too... and appreciate all you've done and put-up-with.

I look forward to your future adventures (if you'll share them with us).

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Back