It's a sad day--We've Lost A Brother

Woke up this morning....and nothing changed.. and hes still gone.. Chit.

WTF? :frown:

BBQchef33 said:
Woke up this morning....and nothing changed.. and hes still gone.. Chit.

WTF? :frown:

Phil, although I wasn't close to e, I woke up hoping the same thing...but no change...

I had some quality time driving with KCquer and Bigdog from STL to Greg's bash and back last year. He will be sorely missed. We talked alot but I didn't know anything about any health problems. Maybe I was grappling too much with my own.

Anyway, I was really hoping to tip a cold one with him this year at Gregs since I finally can again (but only 1 per week) Yesterday my Dr. said I have reached the goal of 6 months without any detectable Hep C virus. In honor of KCquer, I'll abstain till we can all tip one to him at Gregs.

PS: As the only sober person at Greg's last bash, I remember the turtle incident differently.

For more pics of Scott, go to:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/modules...ile=index&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

Rest in Peace, KC.

He was a lucky man to have friends like you guys.

I have nothing else to say.

Chicago Bill just called to let me know. I am heart broken.
Scott always took time to help anyone who had an issue no
matter how small. What a heart he had for what we love to do.
My prayers are with the family.
Will see you on the other side my friend.
Mikeg
Selma AL

Bill (WillKat) and I were talking last night about how Scott reached us each in differant ways. He was the person I turned to when I was so mad at people here. When you all would start on a rant. He would tell me to drink a beer and go fish it would be okay. When work was getting me down he would tell me to drink a beer and go fish it would be okay. He would call and ask how much somthing would cost I would have to tell him to drink a beer and to go fishing.

Scott was that little brother I never had. I'm just sorry that I put off calling him for the last month. I kept telling myself I was just too busy, I can never make it up to him. I well folks I will never too busy again. Scott, I love you Bro

I don't know what to say. I didn't know Scott personally.....but I knew him. I knew him through all his posts that I've read and all the stories told about him. He was one of the good and very knowledgable brethren and will be sorely missed.

His family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Prayers go out to Scott's family.

Guess there are going to be some more blue smoke clouds in Heaven.

I didnt see this specific item mentioned, but over and over in this thread I am reading how much Scott affected peoples lives by giving out sage advice.

I deal with adversity with humor.

I would use humor with Scott too, in PM, IM, and phone calls, when he was going through a rough time.

So I just stumbled across one of lifes little ironies.

Scott's final post on the forum was helping people out, offering up timely and sage advice.

So Scott, I find it ironic that it was This Thread that you chose to share your final words of wisdom.

Scott left us just hours after this post, but I am glad he posted in Wood Pile last, for thats what he helped make this place fun to come to.

Take care e

Whenever my life is impacted by the loss of a friend...

...I think of this poem my Grandma read to me years ago:

I'll Lend You A Child

by Edgar Guest

[SIZE=+1]"I'll lend you for a little time a child of mine," He said.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]For you to love - while he lives[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]And mourn for when he's dead.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]It may be six or seven years[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Or twenty-two or three,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]But will you, till I call him back,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Take care or him for Me?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]He'll bring his smiles to gladden you,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]And should this stay be brief[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]You'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]I cannot promise he will stay,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Since all from earth return,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]But there are lessons taught down there[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]I want this child to learn.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]I've looked this world over[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]In search for teachers true,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]And from the throngs that crowd[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Life's lanes, I have selected you.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Now will you give him all your love,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Nor count the labor vain,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Nor hate Me when I come to call to[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Take him back again?"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]I fancied that I heard then say,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]"Dear Lord, Thy will be done,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]For all the joy Thy child shall bring,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The risk of grief we'll run.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We'll shelter him with tenderness,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We'll love him while we may,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]And for the happiness we've known[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Forever grateful stay.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]But should the angels call for him[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Much sooner than we've planned,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We'll brave the bitter grief that come[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]And try to understand."[/SIZE]

Jeff mentioned something the other day about Scott's meticulous standards when making the baffle. He was a craftsman, more specifically a wood worker. He worked for a company that did custom cabinents for multi million dollar homes. You have to be fussy to satisfy that customer and that Scott was. His attention to detail is what set his apart from others. Curious thing though, when smoking meat, attention to detail is not always that critical of a thing, but it will insure consistancy of the final product.

This came into play last year when we were going to compete together. He got behind and things weren't coming together as he wished so we cancelled the competition. He either wanted to do it right or not at all. This is in direct contrast to another friend of mine that says let's just do it, or as they say: "get 'er done."

Bigdog said:
Jeff mentioned something the other day about Scott's meticulous standards when making the baffle. He was a craftsman, more specifically a wood worker. He worked for a company that did custom cabinents for multi million dollar homes. You have to be fussy to satisfy that customer and that Scott was. His attention to detail is what set his apart from others. Curious thing though, when smoking meat, attention to detail is not always that critical of a thing, but it will insure consistancy of the final product.

This came into play last year when we were going to compete together. He got behind and things weren't coming together as he wished so we cancelled the competition. He either wanted to do it right or not at all. This is in direct contrast to another friend of mine that says let's just do it, or as they say: "get 'er done."

'Dog, that's probably the reason Scott and I never teamed up. He wanted to organize meticulously and I wanted to jump in with both feet. I'm detail oriented most of the time but I was in too big of a rush for Scott. He definitely had his one time table, didn't he? One of his good qualities! :wink:

Jeff_in_KC said:
'Dog, that's probably the reason Scott and I never teamed up. He wanted to organize meticulously and I wanted to jump in with both feet. I'm detail oriented most of the time but I was in too big of a rush for Scott. He definitely had his one time table, didn't he? One of his good qualities! :wink:

Scott came down and cooked our first KCBS event with us.......we anyalized for weeks before the contest via PMs and emails, and we had never even met until the day he pulled up in his pickup with cooker in the back end. We dabbled in some combinations of sauces, came up with one we agreed on, did our cooking thing and turned it in.....3rd place pork and 2nd place brisket (I think that's right, Scott always corrected me) first time out of the gate. He was hooked, but always wanted to be the best that he could be. So if he didn't cook with you, it was probably because of himself and not who he was to cook with.

Let me say this as well.....I cook briskets at the competitons, but I don't cook briskets...KC cooks the briskets, as he has taught me everything I know about cooking a brisket. Before our first contest, I had cooked exactly one brisket. Hours upon hours of conversation. Ain't a thing I could change that could make a difference, so I don't....sometimes I hit the top ten, sometimes I don't...but that's brisket cooking!

Back